Ferg

Ferg's Bobbin Winder

I have been thinking of doing one of these for some time, all the others showing their handy work, here is mine.

post-15740-0-67069200-1447527569_thumb.j

post-15740-0-07936500-1447527584_thumb.j

I had an extra winder and thought a singer sewing machine motor would be the thing to use.

Found Motor, extra brushes, belt, and foot switch for under $20.00.

ferg

How is the speed? Mine is a much faster gear ratio, the motor pulley is the same but the winder size is only about 1.25 inch diameter. Probably a 2-1 reduction where as yours looks like a 5 or 6 inch pulley which is more like 10-1 reduction. To be honest i would like mine to go about half its speed. 11 seconds per bobbin is overly fast, although i can pedal it down easily. May have to install a speed reducer to give it extra punch........

Nice, I need to make one too.

Tinker,

I can go real fast but prefer a little slow. I don't know how good the metal is at the "bearing" area of the shaft on the winder.

I can actually control it better with my hand on the foot switch. I guess we can feel better with our hands than feet. lol

Winder pulley is 3" while the motor pulley is 1/2". Six to one.

I thought I would have some problems with keeping the belt on the winder pulley, haven't so far. I squared everything up as close as possible plus the winder has a small indention in the middle of the wheel.

ferg

Nice job Ferg. I have often thought bout making one for myself, but; the one on my stitcher works , so I guess some day I'll get around to it. If I do, I will likely use yours as a guide.

Bob

Tinker,

I can go real fast but prefer a little slow. I don't know how good the metal is at the "bearing" area of the shaft on the winder.

I can actually control it better with my hand on the foot switch. I guess we can feel better with our hands than feet. lol

Winder pulley is 3" while the motor pulley is 1/2". Six to one.

I thought I would have some problems with keeping the belt on the winder pulley, haven't so far. I squared everything up as close as possible plus the winder has a small indention in the middle of the wheel.

ferg

Hardest part for me was getting the belt tension correct. The factory bobbin winder kicks itself sideways to disengage when the bobbin is full. I needed it just tight enough to grab and spin the bobbin but loose enough to still disengage. I am using a really old belt and apparently after a 6pack of bobbins, it has stretched a little, so it slipps as the bobbin gets fuller, for now i just put my finger on the belt to add a little tension. Tomorrow, gonna take the belt to the vaccuum guy up the road. He has any size (under 18") round belt in stock. Seriously. The guy is crazy about belts.....Went in for a belt for my vacuum, and he not only found it in a couple seconds, but went on a diatribe about vacuum beater head belt design, and how my machine was one of the worst for throwing belts......

This is my version of a separate bobbin winder. I think I saw one set up like this on Ebay. No belt just direct contact. These winders are great because you don't have to spin your machine so fast. I usually only have one big spool of thread so I will wind 4 or 5 at a time. Converted my regular sewing table legs to a cylinder arm table and then mounted the bobbin winder on the corner.

post-37336-0-77058800-1447805349_thumb.j

post-37336-0-79926800-1447805454_thumb.j

Edited by Tim Schroeder

I wondered about just using a standard sewing machine motor, with a little rubber tyre on it. I need one for my hand stitcher I use on my plastic holsters.

This is my version of a separate bobbin winder. I think I saw one set up like this on Ebay. No belt just direct contact. These winders are great because you don't have to spin your machine so fast. I usually only have one big spool of thread so I will wind 4 or 5 at a time. Converted my regular sewing table legs to a cylinder arm table and then mounted the bobbin winder on the corner.

What is the size and speed of the motor? I need to make one of these after converting my machine to a servo and speed reducer the bobbin winder no longer fits. Where can I get the rubber wheel for the motor? Thanks.

I just use a variable speed drill and do about 2 at a time, the machine usually winds em for me.

The rubber tire on the motor is a bobbin winder tire off any home sewing machine. Any sewing machine shop or Ebay will have one. A standard home sewing machine motor. Mine is an AlphaSew. You will need a pulley for the tire to fit on. Any sewing machine shop or Ebay.

A lot of great ideas shared on this forum. Thanks Tim and TT. I looked on eBay and found some reasonably priced sewing machine motors, bobbin tires, etc. One of these is in my immediate future.

I just use a variable speed drill and do about 2 at a time, the machine usually winds em for me.

Thanks for the idea. I will definitely be doing this until I can put together a motorized winder like Tim's.