johnbigsby

Modifying Juki 563 For Larger Thread.

From what I've been reading the largest thread a Juki 563 or similar can accept is 138 due to some clearance issues in the bobbin area etc.

There was mention in a post on the forum that I've since lost track of that it's possible to modify some components to allow for more clearance and larger thread gauges.

I'm looking to sew with 207 and maybe slightly larger. Does anyone know how to make these modifications or what is necessary to do so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

The LU563 should sew with #207 on the top with no problem.

glenn

Don't know how much this will help, specifically, but Juki hook B1830563BA0 for the LU-1508NH and many others can go into this machine. This hook assembly is for "extremely thick thread",

As per the Juki book this hook is intended for use in ranges of thread V69 ~ V207. I know this V207 is being used already with the standard hook.

Standard hook with LU-653 / LU-1508N is in the range of V46 ~ V138, again, solely going by the Juki book.

Hope this info helps, I would not expect anyone to be putting new hooks into their machines based off this here, it's just for reference of course.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

The LU563 should sew with #207 on the top with no problem.

glenn

Thanks Glenn, I was just going by what my service manual says. I have a load of thread coming hopefully next week. Hoping to be able to update this thread then.

Thanks Gregg, I'll look into the new hook as well. The hook that came with the machine uses a full Gib which was giving me issues when sewing leather. I'll most likely switch to a short Gib hook and consider the large thread replacement.

I'll see how it goes when I get my 207 thread next week.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't know how much this will help, specifically, but Juki hook B1830563BA0 for the LU-1508NH and many others can go into this machine. This hook assembly is for "extremely thick thread",

As per the Juki book this hook is intended for use in ranges of thread V69 ~ V207. I know this V207 is being used already with the standard hook.

Standard hook with LU-653 / LU-1508N is in the range of V46 ~ V138, again, solely going by the Juki book.

Hope this info helps, I would not expect anyone to be putting new hooks into their machines based off this here, it's just for reference of course.

Edited by johnbigsby

The hook that came with the machine uses a full Gib which was giving me issues when sewing leather. I'll most likely switch to a short Gib hook and consider the large thread replacement.

We've taken some hook gibs off of many a hook around here as well.

Hi,

I am curious and wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to discover whether the larger hook form the Juki LU-1508 in fact worked with the Juki LU-563 to increase its ability to use the V207 gauge thread top and bottom. I would like to know if that is a good route to try before I order that Hook?

I am needing to sew with some thicker thread so any recommendatons/upgrades from my LU-563 to something different  would be much appreciated!

10 hours ago, Kailupe said:

Hi,

I am curious and wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to discover whether the larger hook form the Juki LU-1508 in fact worked with the Juki LU-563 to increase its ability to use the V207 gauge thread top and bottom. I would like to know if that is a good route to try before I order that Hook?

I am needing to sew with some thicker thread so any recommendatons/upgrades from my LU-563 to something different  would be much appreciated!

They are 100% interchangeable from LU-563 to LU-1508, just as long as the see attached. 

KobanHookPages.pdf

Here's the side-by-side parts list of the two hooks you can install in a Juki LU-563:    Standard: B1830-563-0A0     Thick Thread: B1830-563-BA0

Both hooks were carried over to the later Juki LU-1500 Series of machines. 

Juki LU-563 Hooks.png

Edited by Uwe

Thanks so much guys for your time and efforts for the excellent responses!!!

you are awesome!!!

1. Have loaded JUKI LU-563 with "VT-295E" on both TopStitch and bobbin
  2. Hook Assembly B1830-563-BA0

Issues:

• This is VERY old thread (date on spool)
  • Adjusted Hook Assembly by lowering bobbin gate...slightly (enough to clear the larger thread)
  • Used #24 Needle

The LU-563 was not happy. Was able to run "Servo with speed reducer...500 rpm"

The end result was ability to run..However...(1)Tension setting was difficult. (2) Left-Twist thread "knotted" significantly making it difficult for "uptake lever" to fully retrieve the loop. (3) Bobbin didn't seem to care...tension was also adjusted. (4) Occasionally there was time where needle "skinned" a thread segment but did not break. (5) Thread on Tension Assembly was "twisting"  sporadically and wanted to catch on the Uptake Spring.

Visually..with Lu-563 lifted..Cranking by Hand..The TopStitchThread started off easily...but after a few revolution around the bobbin it began to "twist" unpredictably...like a figure-8 making it very difficult for thread to slide off hook and uptake lever to retrieve "the little "twist" past the plate with the bobbin thread.

I spent SEVERAL days playing with this.....

ExtremeThread2.jpeg