Dan Miller

Hello From The Thousand Islands

Hello All,

I am a budding leatherworking, living in upstate New York, among the Thousand Islands that straddle the border between the United States and Canada.

I got interested in leatherworking when I made a pair of Roorkhee campaign chairs (photo of chairs, wood unfinished, is attached). Not only are these about the most comfortable camp chairs I have ever sat in, but I found I really enjoy leatherworking. Not surprising, since my great- and great-great-grandfathers were harness makers in Westport, New York. I remember as a very small child being in the shop, which was still intact back then (very early 1970s). Unfortunately, the shop was dispersed, but I am fortunate to have inherited their harness horse (see thread in antique tools section).

I am also a long-time woodworker, wooden boatbuilder using traditional techniques, have built several timber framed buildings, am an avid birdwatcher and enjoy canoeing and photography.

I am looking forward to participating in these forums, and am hoping to develop my leatherworking skills, particular in making outdoor-oriented goods.

Cheers,
Dan

post-64192-0-78441000-1447977750_thumb.j

Edited by Dan Miller

Thank you for the introduction, and welcome to the best site on the internet!

Nice work on the chairs, they're very nice. Nice to see I'm not the only one with too many hobbies.

Stu