Mohawk Dave

What Are These Tools That I Bought?

Picked this up off CL the other day. Hitting a wall on a few of the items as to what they are.

I passed on a huge box full of (what I'm pretty sure are) shoe / boot punches. I did not buy from the original owner, but research tells me a lot of this was probably used in Saddle making.

List of what I know and don't know. Can you guys help me with the unknowns? Thanks!

1. JD Randall 18" Creaser (Known)

2. Landis Model 30 Leather Splitter / skiver (Known)

3. JD Randall Press. THIS THING IS A MONSTER! 29" handle, 24" height, 10" x 9" base, 1.75" screw, weighs about 175# (UNKNOWN) (Name? What is this used for?)

4. 14" Creaser (UNKNOWN make? Import?)

5. Heritage 8" Splitter / Skiver (Known)

6. CS Osborne 84 Splitter / Skiver (Known)

7. JD Randall. Mill Vise looking thing? Has removable steel and brass bars with curved cutouts (UNKNOWN) (Name? What is this used for?)

8. CS Osborne 86 Splitter / skiver (Known)

9. Tubular Rivet & Stud CO Model 19 P (Known)

10. JD Randall. Square base approx. 7" x 8" Two clamp type things on it. (UNKNOWN) (Name? What is this used for?)

Link to my photo album below with lots of detailed pics of each machine in order.

http://imgur.com/a/br51I

Thanks everyone!

post-60683-0-85870700-1449366682_thumb.j

Edited by Mohawk Dave

I'm sure they are all useless, and are a hazard to have around due to sharp edges and tetanus. I am willing to help you out, and dispose of them for you. I will pay the shipping, just send them my way.......

The last one is this:

https://www.google.ca/patents/US380296?dq=mar+27+1888+randall&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH85C6nMbJAhWQo4MKHQ3-DQ0Q6wEIHDAA

here is the press:

https://www.google.ca/patents/US405679?dq=randall+leather+clamp&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh25fmncbJAhVSjoMKHWFmAT4Q6wEIODAE

if you search google patents with the patent date and company name and you will find lotsa info. I tried to find that vise thing but it is hard without the date, and i can't see it in the photos.

The clamps and presses are primarily used for impressing box loops, such as on show harness, carriage harness ect. I would be interested in these for they were to become available, I make harness and would use them.

I'm sure they are all useless, and are a hazard to have around due to sharp edges and tetanus. I am willing to help you out, and dispose of them for you. I will pay the shipping, just send them my way.......

Absolutely not!

They will need a trip over the pond to me, to be truly considered safe from all that nasty sharpness.

It's certainly a fine collection you've ended up with.

What a loot.

Go back and buy the rest!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Any other thoughts on the unidentified creaser?

AWHarness. I don't plan on making harnesses so I'll sell the press and clamps. However, shipping is going to be a good chunk. That Press alone weighs probably 175# as stated. But I would definitely love to see it go to someone that would use and care for it. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Any other thoughts on the unidentified creaser?

AWHarness. I don't plan on making harnesses so I'll sell the press and clamps. However, shipping is going to be a good chunk. That Press alone weighs probably 175# as stated. But I would definitely love to see it go to someone that would use and care for it. :cheers:

Are there any other markings on it? Numbers, symbols, dates?

The recent Whitman auction here in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago had a really nice Randall screw press like that one. It was built, and maintained, so well the owner told me several people gave the handle a push and it spun around and darn near busted them in the teeth. They also had a real nice creaser.