OLDNSLOW

Dumb Question 101

I have to admit I am a noob and have questions, but I have always been told the only dumb one's are he one's that go un asked so here I go. Being that I am a noob at working with a machine and looking to get on the fast rack with a few things, I realized that due to eye sight as well as a few other repairable items, I am not keeping a straight stitch right now and I know over time it will get better, but until then is there some sort of straight fence that I can install on the machine to aid in keeping a straight line. Another member here point me in the direction of one, but the machine I have is the 1st generation of the 206rb so the bed doesn't look to be taped out with same hole pattern as a new machine, so I am uncertain if the guide he pointed out to me would work.

is there something or am I going to have a need to fabricate something that will help until I build the ability to sew a straight line, thanks for earing with me and providing answers.

O n S

Can you post a close-up picture of your machine bed near the needle are and one of the back of the arm near the foot lift lever? It'll help a great deal trying to figure out what options might work for you. Without pictures, we're all just guessing as to what you might have.

You can either have a bed-mounted guide, or a swing-down guide that mount to the back of the arm. Deciding which is the better option (if at all) really depends on whether you have threaded mounting holes in a suitable place, either on the bed or on the back of the arm.

There are some magnetic guides around too that don't require any mounting holes, just a good magnetic flat surface near the needle.

To get started, sewing straighter seams, for cheap, go to Home Depot and grab two 2" long X 1/2" magnets and use them as a guide. Just position at the edge of the leather with the needle on your stitch line. If you are a little careful the magnet won't move and your stich line will be a lot straighter. I know most machines have attachable edge guide attachments available. They screw onto the bed of the machine and you adjust the stitch distance to the edge of the leather. But the magnets have worked for me, almost all of the time.

jr

You fellers is all fancy like. I waz thinkin more long the linza a 1x2 long as the table is front to back, and a couple o c-clamps....

I hesitate a little to post this rare earth magnet option, since these magnets are so freaking strong (65 lbs of pull force) they'll probably turn off a pacemaker and can be dangerous with kids around. But they certainly won't move once they've latched onto your sewing machine. $3.72 plus shipping. These have mounting holes to attach a little knob to grab and move the thing:

DSC_6936_Both2_web__79125.1444068479.128

Edited by Uwe

I'll get some photos and post a little later the rare earth magnets look good to me but not as shown. where are those from?. I used rare earth magnets on the vacuum table I built for Kydex and leather holsters, doing kydex now still trying to get up the nerve and where with all to do the leather.

well I was going to post the photos I took, but I guess I have to load them to a hosting site and I have never had success doing that I don't see where I can do it as an attachment. is that correct or is there a step I am not seeing in the choices? I know that I did it once before just cant recall how I did it, is this website on tap talk that is how I have done it on other websited

Nice machine! If I were you, I'd explore the magnetic guide and edge guide feet option first. That nice flat bed really lends itself to a magnetic guide solution. A swing-down guide would be a minor pain to install.

ok thanks for all the input.