Uwe

Show & Tell: Needle Feed Platform For Durkopp Adler 205-370

I made this little platform to allow using the Durkopp Adler 205-370 in Needle+Upper feed mode rather than compound feed. Turning off (removing) the bottom feed dog can help minimize marks on the bottom of the workpiece for certain sewing operations. The idea popped into my head while contemplating a topic in another thread about working with veg tan and prefinished leather. Here are some pictures of the platform:

post-56402-0-92269300-1449632141_thumb.jpost-56402-0-81694900-1449632149_thumb.jpost-56402-0-68686800-1449632157_thumb.jpost-56402-0-60788600-1449632167_thumb.jpost-56402-0-98196200-1449632175_thumb.jpost-56402-0-83984700-1449632194_thumb.jpost-56402-0-36034200-1449632212_thumb.jpost-56402-0-80952400-1449632220_thumb.jpost-56402-0-69138500-1449632228_thumb.j

Once again a nice piece!!! When you get rid of the upper feed you almost have a modern Luberto Classic :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

Uwe,

Another great post. Thank you.

I raised the machine-marks question in a recent post on this site. The upshot of what I've learned so far is that some manufacturer-sellers say machines don't have to mark (specifically Artisan and Techsew), even on finished veg tan. Other respondents seemed to think some degree of marking is inevitable or nearly so. I look at machine-sewn leather items in stores and do not see machine marks, though most all that material is likely chromium tanned.

I'm just trying to sort this out ... what's your take on the inevitability of machine marks? I'd love to hear more from others, as well.

Thanks,

Dale

Some leather types are tanned to hold impressions and wet-molded shapes for making relief designs using stamps etc. (veg tan leather is usually in this category.) Other leather types are tanned more spongy/springy to resist impressions and bounce right back to the original surface shape (e.g. for sofas and car interiors). Some leathers fall between these extremes. The problem arises when folks use leather designed to hold impressions with machines that make unwanted impressions. Likewise, trying to make a relief design on a leather that doesn't hold an impression is a futile effort.

Edited by Uwe

The Luberto is a modified needle feed machine.

He took a very complicated method of building this machine

Once again a nice piece!!! When you get rid of the upper feed you almost have a modern Luberto Classic :lol:

wondering why the Chinese do not copy the Luberto machines. It´s as cool as the BUSMC #6 but with the advantage of a shuttle hook. Especially the adjustable needle assy and foot are nice features.

There is a needle plate for the 441 that does not use the feed dog.

It would not be hard to do but nobody would pay the price - which is why Luberto went out of business

Uwe, will your new needle platform work with this style of roller guide? On the 205-374 the guide is on the cylinder arm and folds down the side of the arm.

post-55476-0-93413600-1450548887_thumb.j

I had noticed that guide in one of other posts. It's a neat and unusual edge guide solution.

It seems to me like that style edge guide would not interfere with installing the needle feed platform (I'm pretty sure that it would interfere with installing the flatbed table attachment, however.)

But I'm quite certain that you would not be able to USE that style edge guide while the needle feed platform is installed. The guide wouldn't be able to flip up and into position. In order to use an edge guide with the needle feed platform installed you'd need a suspending edge guide that comes down from above (like the KG-867). A suspending style edge guide would work with both the needle feed platform and the flatbed table attachment.

Thanks, that is what I suspected but thought I should ask.