HARVEY

How Do You Get That Gorgeous Golden/Yellow Finish?

After looking at some of Bruce Johnson's and Hidepounder's (Bob Park) postings, how DO you get that gorgeous golden yellow finish? Type of leather? Sun exposure? Fiebings? How DO you guys do it??

Harvey

Los Angeles

After looking at some of Bruce Johnson's and Hidepounder's (Bob Park) postings, how DO you get that gorgeous golden yellow finish? Type of leather? Sun exposure? Fiebings? How DO you guys do it??

Harvey,

Here are a couple of recent posts on the subject. First is Lobo's take on it

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6540

And if you dig through this topic far enough you will find BruceGibson's

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6478

ETA: I'm still waiting for a nice sunny day up here to try it out. Got one ready to oil up.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Thank you, Big Dan, for the referral. I'm printing these out to keep handy. Now, maybe Hidepounder will weigh in, too. Thanks again.

By the by, where in Montana are ya?

Thank you, Big Dan, for the referral. I'm printing these out to keep handy. Now, maybe Hidepounder will weigh in, too. Thanks again.

By the by, where in Montana are ya?

You're welcome.

I'm in SW Montana, about 15 miles south of Whitehall.

Dan

Harvey,

I'm flattered that you like the finish I've been using. I can't speak for Bruce, but this is what I do..........I take lots of pictures with different settings and then pick out the color I like best and post in on LW!

Just kidding....! I think the process I use is kind of an "industry standard" among toolers. Once I've finished tooling, I clean the piece with oxalic acid and let it dry completely. Next I lightly oil using 100% neatsfoot oil or olive oil. After several hours, usually overnight, I apply a coat of Neat-Lac and let that dry. Next I apply Fiebings paste antique, remove all the residue, and buff with wool skin. I let that dry for a few hours and then apply a couple light coats of Neat-Lac for a final finish. And that's it...no magic!

Hope this helps....

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

Harvey,

I'm flattered that you like the finish I've been using. I can't speak for Bruce, but this is what I do..........I take lots of pictures with different settings and then pick out the color I like best and post in on LW!

Just kidding....! I think the process I use is kind of an "industry standard" among toolers. Once I've finished tooling, I clean the piece with oxalic acid and let it dry completely. Next I lightly oil using 100% neatsfoot oil or olive oil. After several hours, usually overnight, I apply a coat of Neat-Lac and let that dry. Next I apply Fiebings paste antique, remove all the residue, and buff with wool skin. I let that dry for a few hours and then apply a couple light coats of Neat-Lac for a final finish. And that's it...no magic!

Hope this helps....

Bob

Thank you mucho, Bob. Your pieces, as several others, just have that beautiful warm glow. Kinda reminds me of when I was 18 and . . . well, that's another story.

When you dye lettering, do you do it before or after Neatsfooting it? And do you use Sharpies or spirit dyes? Thanks again, Bob.

Harvey,

Hope this helps....

Bob

How do you deal with the fumes from Neat Lac? I can't even stay in the same building as that stuff! The first and only time I used it, I was buzzed outta my gourd!

Hilly,

Everybody'll tell you the same things: ventilate, Ventilate, VENTILATE. Good ventilation and air flow is the key. Whether Neat-Lac, Barge, Dual88, yeah, one can hold a seance all by themselves, but it's not the suggested course. Open windows, doors, maybe have a fan circulating so the fumes don't go straight up into your brain.

Failing that, you then have two options: 1) take up cermaics, 2) put on some Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, etc., and enjoy the journey.

Harvey

Hilly,

That's why some of us are in to leatherwork so strong...

Mike

Hilly,

That's why some of us are in to leatherwork so strong...

Mike

Okay, I get it. Breathe deeeeeeply! :crazy:

Thank you mucho, Bob. Your pieces, as several others, just have that beautiful warm glow. Kinda reminds me of when I was 18 and . . . well, that's another story.When you dye lettering, do you do it before or after Neatsfooting it? And do you use Sharpies or spirit dyes? Thanks again, Bob.
I use spirit dyes and I do all my dyeing before I oil. I have dyed backgrounding after oiling, but it takes longer to dry. I have only dyed lettering before oiling. Also, it's important to let the dye completely dry before applying the first coat of Neat-Lac, because Neat-Lac will pick up the dye!
How do you deal with the fumes from Neat Lac? I can't even stay in the same building as that stuff! The first and only time I used it, I was buzzed outta my gourd!
That's easy Hilly....if the Neat-Lac fumes begin to dissapate, I open up my can of Barge! :Holysheep:

Hilly

This may be sort of a pain to do but after you ventilate properly, put on a charcoal dust mask or a cartridge respirator. It will keep you from smelling the fumes.

M

I use a respirator and crank up the fan whenever I use anything that emits strong fumes. I'm saving up to get a spray booth someday.

Kate

Hilly

This may be sort of a pain to do but after you ventilate properly, put on a charcoal dust mask or a cartridge respirator. It will keep you from smelling the fumes.

M

Jeez, Rawhide, you're takin' all the fun out of it.

Jeez, Rawhide, you're takin' all the fun out of it.

:rofl: I don't want to take the fun away. Just trying to keep the few brain cells I have in tact, so that I can keep the memory loss away!!!