bushpilotmexico

Why Is Black Dye So Dirty After Drying?

Hadn't use Fiebings black dye in a long time. I'm amazed as to how dirty the leather surface is after the dye drys. I look like a coal miner after handling it. Seems like a sooty film on the surface, comes off,almost, when you wipe and wipe.

Never a problem with British tan or Cordova or the other Browns. Am I the only one that has experienced the problem?

Black has an over-abundance of the dyestuffs that compose the color component of the dye. Black need to be opaque, whereas other colors can have a bit of translucency to them.

The leather can't absorb all of them, so you get a crapload of loose particles.

All you can do is keep buffing until it pretty much stops, and then seal it with several light coats of Resolene or some other sealer. And expect more to come off as you do that. It can loosen more particles.

A power buffer can reduce the pain. You can also reduce this problem by going to the Fiebings oil dyes.

I picked up some black from a lady who was getting rid of the last of her elderly father's shoe repair business stuff. I did a quick dip dye test a while back and had zero ruboff. I haven't had time to do more testing or confirmation of that, but just ran out of my black oil dye yesterday and will be messing with it tomorrow.

Can't remember the name of it, but will post it when I go to the shop tomorrow.

Do you thin your dye before applying? I always thin my black dye before applying and vigorously buff when dry. When I apply my finish I do have some black that is removed but not so much that it affects the final product.

Do you thin your dye before applying? I always thin my black dye before applying and vigorously buff when dry. When I apply my finish I do have some black that is removed but not so much that it affects the final product.

I always thin my Fiebing's spirit dyes before using...thanks to all for the responses....I'll just keep on wiping, doesn't affect the final finish.

Thanks