OLDNSLOW

A Big Oppsy With My Consew 206Rb My Bad

and broke the rotary hook, not sure exactly when I did it, so now I have it removed and my daughter in law ordered one off ebay. it wasn't all that difficult in removing the rotary hook, but was wondering if when going back in with the new one if more needs to be disassembled than what I took apart to begin with. I knew that there would be learning curves so I can chalk this one up to one of those and be more cautious in the future.

not even one response to tell me I a frigging arse for disabling a perfectly good 206rb

Ouch, sorry to hear about the untimely demise of your hook.

I'm not really familiar with the 206RB, and I don't even know if the 206RB's use an identical hook between the various versions RB1-RB5. Chances are you have to go through the hook timing procedure to get things aligned properly after you install the new hook.

Personally, I want to see a picture of a broken hook, not to embarrass you, but to learn and see what actually breaks on a hook when it breaks.

Edited by Uwe

Well I can tell you what broke because there is not much left after removing it , but what brought my attention to it was the bobbin fell out so when I went to reinstall I noticed to center pin that bobbin locks on to was missing. I looked around and saw it on the floor, so my guess when I noticed the machine had gotten tight to turn I must have broke it then, not sure but that is my guess. After going back out and studying the set up again along with the photo of the new one my daughter in law ordered, I realized what would be coming and commenced to take the machine apart, it was a little tough getting it out.

I figure that going in with a new one might be a little tough, but it is only some cap head screws and a few connecting points to disassemble more then reassemble, but hoped I might get someone to chime that might have done it. I can now see how some one with out a mechanical ability would be lost, with a little time I could take it apart and have it back together.

To add to the above, what I was able to figure out was that the pin and it's housing is made of a very thin pop metal with what looks like some stainless or polished aluminum items that keeps the hook mounted to the outer part the attaches to the shaft, with 2 set screws with one of the 2 sits on the flat of the shaft to ensure none movement while operating.

not even one response to tell me I a frigging arse for disabling a perfectly good 206rb

You sometimes have to be patient - you get all the information here for free and when nobody is online who could help you have to wait another day or two or three. Thats how "crowd service" works. If you don´t like it and you are inpatient take the machine to the next dealer buy a hook from him and let him repair your machine and pay $$$.

Uploading pictures is always a good advise because sometimes people who even don´t own a certain machine can help you by just looking at your pictures and then tell you what to do. Don´t let other people do your part.

The 206 is a vertical hook machine so usually the hook assy is mounted on the shaft with 2 or 3 set screws. Remove needle plate, feed dog and the hook holding finger / position finger, then you have to lift (or remove) the arm the feed dog is mounted on (usually 1 screw you have to loosen on the right side of the arm when looking at the hook), loosen the hook set screws and pull the hook. Install the new hook, install the finger, install feed dog an needle plate, reposition the feed dog arm and time the machine if necessary. Not sure if the machine has a bobbin case opener but you probably have to remove it as well and adjust it when you reinstall it.

Thats at least what I would.

I guess you already have a parts list and a manual for your machine, right?

Edited by Constabulary

the part has been ordered, but the manual I have leaves a lot to be desired, but as I mentioned above for the most part I have it figure out. All I needed to do was look at it for a few minutes and let me grey matter soak in what was in front of me what went where, what was connected to which then decided that is was just a few cap screws, a few shafts, a cam here and a cam there loosen pull, tug raise one item, and I was off to the races, just like an engine just in smaller scale in compaired to some of the cat or Detroit engines I have worked on.

you be back sewing soon

that's what I figure, I am going to order an extra part to keep on hand just in case terror strikes again in the future, it's not matter of if, but when :)