tew45

Singer 153W101 Belt

I have a Singer 153W101 that needs a belt. I ordered one with part #224195 at 25 and 3/8 inches long and 41 teeth. The belt seems to be approximatly 4 inches too long. I bought the belt early last year and is probably unreturnable. They advertised the belt as proper for a 153W but there is no way it will work. Can anyone help with this?

The Singer 153 has several sub-models and they use different timing belts.

Saying a part fits a Singer 153 model isn't really enough information. You need to know which sub-model they're talking about.

According to the Singer Model List, the 153W101 is the same a 153W100 but with alternating presser feet. So the 153W100 should be the right Singer 153 sub-model to choose parts from for everything except the alternating presser foot bits.

The parts list reference at UniversalSewing.com has a Parts List for the Singer 153W100 which shows the timing belt as part number 235003 which runs $37 at CollegeSewing.com in the U.K. but is probably available from U.S. vendors as well:

post-56402-0-43199900-1450417892_thumb.p

The timing belt #224195 you got is the one that goes with the Singer 153W104:

post-56402-0-16206700-1450418023_thumb.p

Edited by Uwe

They must of had the belt marked wrong.All the 153's take the same belt & I just checked a #224195 we have in stock & it's 25 3/8" & has 41 teeth.The belt they sent you is for a postbed 168,138 machine.

Uwe,

Id say the parts list is wrong.The one you mentioned is for the 47W & would be shorter than what he needs,it only has 38 teeth.

Edited by CowboyBob

Who knows what's going on in warehouses across the country. I'm sure parts get mismarked or put in the wrong bin a lot. Without pictures of what tew45 actually has, I'm just going by information that's available online.

Are the parts manual diagrams I linked to for the 153W100 and the 153W104 not correct? Because they surely show different timing belts.

So, tew45, is the belt you received 25 3/8" long with 41 teeth or not? If it is the size and tooth count matches the part number you need, but it's four inches too long for your machine, then something else is wrong. Does the belt that's currently in your machine have 41 teeth or not?

My machine is marked with a Singer plate as a 153W101 Frame number is EW032356. The belt I received (too long) was the 224195 41 teeth and 25 3/8 long which as I stated was about 3 to 4 inches too long. My machine was a walking foot with some of the WF components removed and a wheel foot installed. A 38 tooth belt seems like it might work but that is just a guess on my part. I ran a length of wire around the pulleys and it measured 21 3/8.

You don't have the old belt anymore to confirm length and tooth count?

Now I want to see some picture of how a walking foot machine gets converted to a wheel feed.

The belt out of my machine was destroyed by heat (Melted). There is no way I could have measured it. It was a rubber, nylon or of a similar material. And Yes the 41 tooth was too long! I don't know why I have to get an oddball so often.

This just gets better with every post. Now I want to see what a machine looks like after surviving an event hot enough to melt the timing belt.

I will try to send photos if I can figure out how! My brain is not as efficient as it once was!

The machine is dirty with a little surface rust. I have oiled and cleaned most bearing surfaces. I have a small problem with the bobbin holder but I am cleaning that area now and will see if I need parts. The reason I am fooling with this machine is that it was not hurt so much in the fire as the water to put it out. I have been working on this machine since I think I can Use it and I can't afford a better machine for my purposes. Now hand sewing is the best I can do and I have arthuritis in both hands and think I need a machine. Hang me but I have also thought about the Chinese shoe repair machine on the market now.

To post pictures of a machine that was pulled from the smoldering remains of a factory fire after they lifted the massive H-beam that had fallen on the machine, click the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right. It will then show you options to upload picture files.

OK, I finaly got my brain on straight!post-47075-0-04362000-1450453590_thumb.jpost-47075-0-84937200-1450453602_thumb.jpost-47075-0-17120300-1450453612_thumb.jpost-47075-0-54485700-1450453621_thumb.j

Keep in mind that you have to upload the pics, and then in a separate step post them into your reply (they will go in at the cursor location. The first time is always fun, but don't worry, you can't break anything.

Art

Cylinder arm machines in good working condition tend to command a significantly higher price than similar flatbed machines. If you can get this one going, good for you. Just keep an eye out for when this project machine might become more of a burden than a bargain.

I think if I can just find the belt the rest will be hard cleaning and my memory on how to reassemble it. Thank You for your advice.

I have confirmed that I need a 38 tooth belt for my 153W101. I have looked for a while and I can find no source for a 38 tooth neoprene belt. They seem to be as scarce as hens teeth! If anyone might know of a source please let me know. I also have a wheel foot on it and was considering trying to go back to the walking foot system (only needs a few parts since it has been before) but I have been told the wheel foot is very good for knife sheaves and small holsters. I also may to find a parts machine to change the sprockets for the 224195 belt. If I live long enough, I will get this machine running!!!!!

When in doubt, go to McMaster-Carr Catalog, and have one made-up.

Art

I have checked their stock and I didn't find one. I knew they made some flat belts but I didn't know they made timing belts. I had them make a belt for my tool post grinder! If I don't find a stock one I will check them.

I may have one. I'll look tomorrow.

Regards, Eric

That would be a fantastic help!

Thank You

I don't have a 38T belt. Do you have a Singer part number by chance?

Regards, Eric

I have checked their stock and I didn't find one. I knew they made some flat belts but I didn't know they made timing belts. I had them make a belt for my tool post grinder! If I don't find a stock one I will check them.

Obviously if you have a tool post grinder, you have a metal lathe and as such should be much better situated to make this machine work and fix unavailable parts than the average sewer. Too bad you can't turn a belt.....

I really want a metal lathe, someday.

The only number for a 38tooth belt is for the 153W100 which is 235003 and the only belt with 38 teeth is a fabric belt from England. The England company indicates the belt is for a 47W which some parts manuals say a 47W uses a crank shaft /rod assy. I know the belt on my 152W101was a neoprene belt and not fabric so I know they were made. I just don't know where. Thank you very much for looking.

TinkerTailor I have a couple of old lathes (a 12inch and a 6 inch Atlas) I have had for many years. I got them when I was gainfully employed and had some expendable cash. They have been very helpful over the years. I hope you find one for yourself.