CustomDoug

Edge Paint Getting Where It's Not Wanted ..

I'm looking for suggestions and techniques for how you guys apply edge paint without getting it on the front and back of the piece, (and eventually all over your fingers from quickly wiping away stray paint from those areas) .

I'm very careful as I work but still, every once in a while a little bit will find it's way to the front or back of the piece, having slightly spilled over the edge.

I've been working on long belts lately and I try to catch the excess as soon as possible so that I can run a finger or thumb up-wards, perpendicular to the edge to clean the excess away. This pretty much works, but I do not always catch it before it starts setting up - then it becomes hard to remove. I've been using the metal hand-held "paddle" applicator that Tandy sells. The leather in question is a somewhat glossy chrome calfskin.

The problem is that eventually my fingers all become contaminated with paint from (s)wiping away paint from the face of the leather ... then that paint on my fingers inevitably gets smeared onto the leather as I turn the piece or whatever, causing me to need to quickly clean more (a vicious cycle, lol) .

BTW - is there something I can use to clean away dried edge paint from my leather surface (the small amount that gets away from me that is)?

Doug C

First of all, like anything, you get better with practice. Knowing how much edge coat to put on the spatula is key to getting good results. Personally I'd rather put less on and have to touch up light spots than use more and have to wipe off. I use wooden sticks, sort of like popsicle sticks and they work for me. I've also had good results with short, stiff brushes. Tandy also sells a "pen" type of applicator. Never tried it, but it probably is worth checking out. There is a "touch" that is acquired over time. When you develop it, it just flows and you don't have to mess with cleaning up misplaced paint.

I buy the little "make up" sponges you find in the cosmetic section at Walmart. Then I just tilt the edge kote bottle to put a little on the sponge and the just slowly wipe along the edge of the leather. Pretty simple.

When I use edge paint, I am finding that the bamboo skewers for kabobs work well as an applicator. I find it easier to control the amount of paint and exactly where it is going with them. Best of all, they are really cheap. :-)

Like suggested in one of the Stohlman books using a hard felt works just fine. However for straight edges like on belts this https://www.etsy.com/listing/243210397/steel-rollercabinet-style-leather-roller works just fine. I've also seen people refilling felt pens.

For folks doing volume work, that looks like a great solution. Thanks for sharing.

I apply edge paint in multiple coats, but the first two are always coating the rounded edge farthest away from me. My holder is two pieces of square tube aluminum on my bench that holds the strap on edge. I paint the top and farthest edge first being careful to only paint to the finished edge, which I seem to be able to control better on the far side. Once dry, I turn the belt around and do the other side exactly the same way. Note, I didn't say "turn the belt OVER" It takes four passes to get both rounded edges of the belt done, and then I do additional coats/touch-up work.

..so you're rounding the edge (w/ a beveler) before painting? I've been trying to square up the edge via sanding and then build a linear mound of paint length wise through multiple coats.

Wow, you'll be there all night. Yeah, bevel, burnish, edge paint, sand, slick, repeat until satisfied.

There's a great sticky on it here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

Not necessarily the exact formula, but do what works for you.

I must admit that I cringe every time I see someone (with the possible exception of Nigel) have at an edge with a spatula full of edge coat. Too risky for me!

I've arrived at two solutions for applying dye and then also thicker edge coat that work for me.

For applying regular leather dye that is very thin and viscous Short lengths of 1/2" x 1/2" hard felt strip held in a clothespin are ideal. They have a large, flat surface that is far more forgiving in my hands than the refillable felt-tipped pens that are available. It's too easy for that pointed felt tip on the pen to slip off the edge down the side of the project. You have to be pretty far off to have that happen with a 1/2" square surface of the felt strip. One tip: I dip the felt in the dye to fully load it, but to reduce the problem of having too much and risking dripping, I daub the loaded felt on the flesh side of a piece of scrap leather before touching the edge.

For thicker edge coat or paint I've had reasonably good luck with Tandy's Craftool Pro Edge Dye pen.

http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-pro-edge-dye-roller-pen

Not unexpectedly, the key is loading the grooved applicator with just the right amount of coat/paint. A few minutes practice will clear that up.

Good Luck,

Michelle