soop

Need Help Restoring A Cobblers Last So It Doesn't Stain

Hi Guys,

first of all, greetings from Amsterdam, Holland. My girlfriend is very much into leatherworking. She wanted a shoemakers anvil/ Cobblers Last for her upcoming birthday. She mostly wants to use it to flatten or 'break' the seams, as she called it. (See attachment for picture)

Now, I managed to buy this antique one, it is in good shape, but how should I treat it so it won't stain the leather or other fabric? Do I wirewheel it or will that leave cratches? Do I then paint it (with rustoleum or some other tough paint)? Do I leave the working services unpainted but maybe sand them? Etc.

(See attachment for picture)

With blacksmithing I would prefer not to paint an anvil but to oil it, but this would stain the leather I'm assuming. Or is there a certain oil that you guys use?

Would love to hear your advice and will most certainly use it.

Thanks in advance

post-68387-0-23114200-1450817518_thumb.j

Edited by soop

I would powder coat it. I have a few of these, cast iron sandblasted and powder coated. Very durable finish.

I use Cerakote, which I find better for firearms than powdercoating. Learn to do one thing well as opposed to two things halfass. I think if I was having something big done, I would send it out and have it powdercoated. For the shoe anvil, I would just walnut or bead blast it and then coat it, or send it out to chrome plate it, Naaaaaaaaaa.

Art

I just left my two as they came to me. The antique used look makes it look like I use them a lot and its part of their history.

Cleaning off the Foot oil, leather oil, essence of old feet, and shoe shop deterius, will take all the character out of it. I have a few shoe anvils on stands and a couple of unique ones that fit on the bench that I never cleaned up due to the history etc. I like having stuff that is a hundred or more years old and still gets the job done, and yes, I will hammer on or with a 100 year old piece of history any day.

Art

thanks for your reply. I completely agree, that's why I decided to buy an old 'real' one instead of a chinese new one, but it has to be functional too. My girlfriend works a lot with white leather, so rust or grease stains aren't great. That's my only concern.

(believe me, there have been numerous times when I came home with a present that had history or just needed some love and attention, where she replied "Yes but I just want something that works!") :cowboy:

The raw soling surfaces on mine have never shown rust and I live in a place where metals rust very speedily.

I use mine for tacking on new heels and soles. In my case any coating on the surface would soon be chipped and damaged.