Kat Sue

Roller Or Walking Foot?

Hello everyone, my first post (longtime stalker of this site). I'm wondering if those with more experience could explain if a roller foot like I have on my 46k93 is better than the walking foot on my 133k8? Or if it's a case of not better/worse perhaps but just suited to different applications?

Many thanks 😊

A roller foot machine works best when sewing a single top layer, or over a new layer that is not much different than the main one. Large changes will require you to assist the feeding by raising the roller foot.

The spring type walking foot Singer machines work fairly well on new layers, assuming the alternating height is properly adjusted for those changes. These machines are different than modern walking foot machines in that the outer foot follows the top layer as the feed dog pulls from the bottom. As the feed dog drops at the end of its travel, the outer foot lifts and snaps forward. The needle and inside foot only move up and down, whereas modern compound feed machines have those pieces in motion, forward or backward.

??? did you mean 45k93 Kat sue??? the roller foot seems better for sewing curves, easier to maneuver than feet.

Haha yes it's a 45K93. The trouble with accessing sites using your mobile is the keys are so close together.

Two very different machines that do very similar jobs.

The 45k93 is not a very common machine as Singer did not build many machines with reverse.

The 133k8 is essentially a 132k6 cylinder bed and not really a leather machine.

For leather work I would take a roller foot over the Singer "alternating pressers" any day of the week but that is a personal preference only