alexitbe

Ivan Or Osborne Adjustable V-Gouger?

Happy New Year!

Can anyone offer any advice on these two options? I cannot seem to find any other makers out there...

It seems that some people think the Osborne quality is poor for this tool and I thought maybe the Ivan is better or atleast equal. The Ivan is about 5 Euros cheaper and since I guess I will have to sharpen either one I would rather save myself five euros.

Ivan: https://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/de/Naht-Kante/Hobeln-Polieren/Regulierbarer-Hohlmeissel-V-foermig.html

Osbourne: https://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/de/Naht-Kante/Hobeln-Polieren/Osborne-Regulierbarer-Hohlmeissel-V-foermig.html

If anyone can recommend other makes I would happily consider them.. Second hand would also be fine...

Cheers and all the best

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

Phone them up and talk to Mr. Schmidt, not the other guy. He's an honest person an will give you an upfront opinion. I'm having the Osborne one and wasn't to pleased as I had to sharpen it right from the start as the edge was not done right. After having it sharpened properly it was just fine ever since. I wouldn't expect that to be the same with the Ivan one as that steal is a bit softer.

Thanks Thor.... (My Son is currently sitting on the sofa dressed as Thor :) )

I am going to call Marc Schmidt on Monday. I will buy a few things, so it won't much difference to him which one he suggests... I just want the least worse one... :)

Cheers

Alex

I have just made the order and found Mr Schmidt a very helpful and patient guy...

He suggested the Osbourne, because its easier to sharpen.

Cheers

ALex

Yeah I can't complain about their service. I'm chatting with him once in awhile. He's a hobby leatherworker himself. He'll tell you if a tool sucks or if it's really good. Also if it's not in their current stock they are trying to get it with one of their suppliers at a fair price. What I really like about them is that they are always trying to improve their stock. Usually if you order before noon you'll have it the next day.

Once you get your gouge don't put it to work right away. Strop it first.

Hi Thor,

I will buy from them again, without doubt. Although I think their hand stitching thread is expensive, since it comes from the Ivan brand and is 5-6 euro for 23 m. I can find 100 m roll for that.

I shall take your advice and spend some time sharpening first. I have found a good video, which suggests, first gouging some leather, apply polishing rouge to this trench and then stropping on that. Its a really good idea, since you now have an exact copy of the surface you wish to polish... I cannot believe I hadn't thought of that..

Cheers

Alex

Interesting thought. I didn't think of that either, but that may be due to the fact that I have been tought the old traditional way of sharpening wood chisels and the more important side for stropping is the mirror side. In this case the side of the channel. You'll need a sharp edge on the leather for that.

To be honest, I really struggle with sharpening my tools...

Well, the v-groover arrived today and I am surprised at the poor quality of the blade... I thought buying American, would mean better quality... In this case, I think not... Should have gotten the IVAN, which is 10 euros cheaper.

I have a lot of work to do, getting this Osbourne v-gouger sharp.

Cheers

Alex

The Ivan one doesn't hold a cutting edge. So that one is the better choice. I believe I mentioned that this was the reason that disappointed me about that as well and that I had to sharpen it first.

If you are struggling with sharpening you might want to go here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=221 and get some general help with sharpening.