MMArmoury

Revolutionary War Gear

I'm new here to the forums. I have been making American Revolution era militia cartridge pouches for about eight years now and I give demonstrations at reenactment events. Here are some of my creations:

www.freewebs.com/mmarmoury

Lex_Box_1.jpg

CB_03.JPG

post-8098-1228918870_thumb.jpg

post-8098-1228918900_thumb.jpg

Edited by MMArmoury

I'm new here to the forums. I have been making American Revolution era militia cartridge pouches for about eight years now and I give demonstrations at reenactment events. Here are some of my creations:www.freewebs.com/mmarmoury

So cool! You have no idea how jealous I am that Rev War and Civil War reenactors have extant pieces to work from. ;-) How long have you been doing Revolutionary War stuff?

(I grew up in Harvard, MA, BTW. My elementary school principal reenacted with the Concord Minutemen.)

Edited by tashabear

I have been doing it for about ten years. I have worked with the Concord MinuteMen, I have done the North Bridge event with them several times. Yes, there are surviving pieces to work from but that doesn't stop so called experts from debating every last thread and detail of the replicas. Here's another pic of some of the stuff I make, and some pics of a new wooden drilling brace I just finished making:

Web_95400010.jpg

MMA_Brace_1_C.jpg

MMA_Brace_2_C.jpg

MMA_Brace_4_C.jpg

post-8098-1228936852_thumb.jpg

post-8098-1228936889_thumb.jpg

post-8098-1228936898_thumb.jpg

post-8098-1228936915_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and great looking work.

great looking work, and :welcome:

Thank you. I am still very much an amateur and am still learning. I learned a few basic skills necessary to make what I wanted and mastered them, there is still so much more out there for me to learn.

Welcome MMA,

I agree with what you said about knowing a few things well, but knowing little else about a vast field of knowledge and experience. Much of the stuff on here, and the skill demonstrated by the craftspeople is just mind boggling.

Daggrim

Here's an update on my products. My latest project is the one with the heart cut-out (that's just practice piece) on the flap with a red wool backing. I have switched to a homemade dye using cider vinegar and scrap iron which turns tooling leather into a dark grayish-black. Works like magic and I use it for my public demonstrations as goes from clear to black right before their eyes. Next experiment is to top it off with a jacking finish. I have several authentic 18th century boot jacking recipes, what I will use is a mixture of pitch and beeswax with some lampblack added to further darken the piece. I am considering adding turpentine to increase the penetration, though I am worried about a flash-point as I will heat and melt my mixture in a pot over an open fire for my demonstrations.

Australia-1-A.jpg

Brown Concord-5-B.jpg

Lex Box-3-A.jpg

New Continental-02-A.jpg

New BaySling-01-A.jpg

Acton-101-B.jpg

post-8098-127211453739_thumb.jpg

post-8098-127211459772_thumb.jpg

post-8098-127211463462_thumb.jpg

post-8098-127211467306_thumb.jpg

post-8098-127211470904_thumb.jpg

post-8098-12721147283_thumb.jpg

Hey just think fire is a good demonstration :evillaugh:

I'm new here to the forums. I have been making American Revolution era militia cartridge pouches for about eight years now and I give demonstrations at reenactment events. Here are some of my creations:

www.freewebs.com/mmarmoury

MMArmoury,

I really like your belts and Cartridge Boxes and other accouterments. I reenact the period 1785-1790 Berks Co PA. As you would expect, many of my buckles are the same as ones you show. I portray a civilian, but could 'leagally' be in the militia--I think I am barely under the upper age limit.

Somehow over the years I ended up w/ a baldrick. Of course, they don't put bayonets on Early Lancaster rifles (1780s vintage copy) or same-era fowlers. My fowler is a 12-gauge, which might be a bit large for the time period 'normal.'

At any rate, welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing more of your stuff. I think I'll photograph my shooting bags and pocket birdshot dispenser (w/ an Irish charger head).

Sparks

MMArmoury,

I really like your belts and Cartridge Boxes and other accouterments. I reenact the period 1785-1790 Berks Co PA. As you would expect, many of my buckles are the same as ones you show. I portray a civilian, but could 'leagally' be in the militia--I think I am barely under the upper age limit.

Somehow over the years I ended up w/ a baldrick. Of course, they don't put bayonets on Early Lancaster rifles (1780s vintage copy) or same-era fowlers. My fowler is a 12-gauge, which might be a bit large for the time period 'normal.'

At any rate, welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing more of your stuff. I think I'll photograph my shooting bags and pocket birdshot dispenser (w/ an Irish charger head).

Sparks

MMArmoury,

I posted some Colonial era bags and a shot snake (flask actually) in the member gallery area.

Sparks

Received the snap sack and market wallet several weeks back and wanted to say they are good quality and nice materials.

Thanks.

Next month I will be greatly expanding my business by delving into the Medieval world, and I will be relaunching my business under the new name of Graye Fox Leatherworks. A new website will be forthcoming, and I will be premiering new products, as well as maintaining my MinuteMan Armoury line. So far my leather "bottels" have been a smashing success, even more than I had hoped, and will be the centerpiece of my business.

post-8098-073998800 1292027464_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Bottels............ :cheers:

nice bottels! :)

how do you waterproof them?

nice bottels! :)

how do you waterproof them?

They are lined with a mixture of pitch and beeswax, and beeswax on the outside.

very nice looking stuff you make there sir!

You ever get out to Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY? You should come out for a weekend, I'd come sit at your table with you and we could pick each other's brains and have some lunch.

You ever get out to Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY? You should come out for a weekend, I'd come sit at your table with you and we could pick each other's brains and have some lunch.

No, sorry, I don't get out that far.