herme

New Machine Help - 132K6 Ga5-1

Machine for horse rug making/repair and leather (stirrups/halters). I would love to get some advise help on the older Singer 132K6 vs the K6 clone from China and the cowboy CB-105/GA5-1. Thanks.

One question is do you need a flat bed or a cylinder arm? The 132K6 is a flat bed machine and the CB-105 is a cylinder army machine as it seem but you probably can add a flat bed attachment. The 123K6 has a large rotary hook and the CB 105 and osculating shuttle hook. I don´t know the CB-105 (or Cowboy 2500?) but it appears to be a Singer 45K clone and when you buy it form a dealer with good reputation I´m sure the machine will serve you well.

Advantage of the CB-105 is that is has reverse the 132k has not.

Where are you located - USA, Canada, Australia, Europe?

Thanks Constabulary, mostly I would need a flat bed so would need a flat bed attachment if I get a cylinder arm. Does the rotary hook vs the shuttle hook give a different stitch quality? The cowboy CB-105 I think is the cylinder arm model down from the CB-3200 but is not a compound feed.

Reverse is definitely an advantage but would be twice the price. The new 132K6 clones start at $2500 here in Australia… Are the compound feed machines considered heavier duty than the walking foot?

The 132 k 6 has problems with stitching uneven layers, as the foot is wider than the feed dogs. The inside of the foot has no feed dog under it, so stitching next to the bound edge can be difficult. I repair horse blankets on an old 132 because they are so dirty that I don't want to sew them on a better machine. The shuttle system is also much easier to clean and re-oil after use. I think you could spend $ 2500 much better on a cyl. arm machine with compound feed. That said, an old 132 could serve you well at 1/4 the price.

I doubt you will see a difference in the stitch pattern. Both machines are using the same needles. So it pretty much depends on the thread and needle combination and the top and bottom tension. I would not consider the 132K6 as compound feed, it is a top and bottom feed machine. The CB-105 is a pure drop feed (bottom feed) machine. I´d rather consider the CB-3200 compound feed machine. I think it will serve you better.

There are at least 2 dealers in Australia who can support you with either machine (I think)

One is Steve's Industrial Leather Sewing Machines

I don´t know if they have a website but he is member here - member ID is SINGERMANIA
But they are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Steves-Industrial-Leather-Sewing-Machines-345144232177296/

The other is Darren Brosowski from ABLE Sewing

I´m sure he will jump on here pretty soon ;)

Edited by Constabulary

The 132 k 6 has problems with stitching uneven layers, as the foot is wider than the feed dogs. The inside of the foot has no feed dog under it, so stitching next to the bound edge can be difficult. I repair horse blankets on an old 132 because they are so dirty that I don't want to sew them on a better machine. The shuttle system is also much easier to clean and re-oil after use. I think you could spend $ 2500 much better on a cyl. arm machine with compound feed. That said, an old 132 could serve you well at 1/4 the price.

Thanks Gump, great to hear from someone who uses the 132 K6 for rugs. So it is pretty hardy when it comes to dirt and re-oiling. This will be my first heavy duty machine and I would definitely get one in working condition if they were 1/4 the price but I haven't seen one in Australia in working condition for less than $1600-$2150... Which is why I am weighing up / temped to spend a bit extra for a compound feed with flat bed attachment and reverse. But I must admit I do like the old machine but they seem much dearer here compared to Europe/USA.

Edited by herme

I doubt you will see a difference in the stitch pattern. Both machines are using the same needles. So it pretty much depends on the thread and needle combination and the top and bottom tension. I would not consider the 132K6 as compound feed, it is a top and bottom feed machine. The CB-105 is a pure drop feed (bottom feed) machine. I´d rather consider the CB-3200 compound feed machine. I think it will serve you better.

There are at least 2 dealers in Australia who can support you with either machine (I think)

One is Steve's Industrial Leather Sewing Machines

I don´t know if they have a website but he is member here - member ID is SINGERMANIA

But they are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Steves-Industrial-Leather-Sewing-Machines-345144232177296/

The other is Darren Brosowski from ABLE Sewing

I´m sure he will jump on here pretty soon ;)

So the 132 K6 is more a top and bottom feed (with a walking foot) as opposed to a compound feed (CB-3200)? The CB-105 being bottom feed only but is marketed as using heavy duty leather at a budget price - $1850 which is roughly the same price as the older working condition 132 K6 in this Country. Yes, I agree the CB 3200 could be a good option and I will contact Steve and Darren to get some info and a price. Thank you for the info :)

Edited by herme

Everey time I read something like this I kick myself! When I bought my Singer 211G166 and Pfaff 335 recently the chap also had a 132K6 for $800. I wanted compound feed, and the other two were cheaper so I didn't pay any attention to the 132. It was only after it was sold that I realised what a bargain it was :bawling: .

Everey time I read something like this I kick myself! When I bought my Singer 211G166 and Pfaff 335 recently the chap also had a 132K6 for $800. I wanted compound feed, and the other two were cheaper so I didn't pay any attention to the 132. It was only after it was sold that I realised what a bargain it was :bawling: .

Hindsight can be painful... The 132 seem to hold their value but as the China clones become cheaper I wonder if older 132's value will eventually drop??

I doubt if they will drop by much. As long as old Singer's are considered desirable (and people believe they are better quality than newer machines) then they'll hold their price. Plus the relative scarcity of these machines here in Oz doesn't help.

The flat bed 132k6 is better for horse rug repairs but there is no reverse.

The GA5 has reverse and a flat bed can be purchased or easily made with some plywood and timber.

Keep in mind that the newest 132k6 is over 50 years old and even these beautifully built machines wear out over time. New parts are available and mostly come from Seiko so they are very expensive.

If buying a GA5 they normally come with a roller foot and guide which are excellent for leather work. While the roller foot is a bit course and will mark leather there is the option to upgrade to a rubber wheel or an original 45k type roller (These are options that I have but not sure about other dealers)

With practice the GA5 will sew beautifully on leather but the 132k6 is always a compromise as it was only really intended to be a heavy upholstery machine.

In general I suggest people invest in a new machine for leather work and find something cheaper for horse rug repairs as rugs are always full of dust that will damage a machine.

Steve (Singermania) is the importer and I am his only dealer - ABLE Sewing on evilBay