BDAZ

Scan And Print Your Own "blue Guns"?

Has anyone had any experience in scanning and or printing your own plastic replicas for holster production? There are some STL fines out there that I am going to test but I would like to be able to scan and then print my own guns,

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Ive been contemplating this exact same thing. From what I've read on 3d printers I don't see why it won't work, but I have zero experience with them. It would sure be handy to stick the customers pistol in a printer and have a dummy though!

Man, this could really open up some possibilities... someone could send you the files to print from around the country and you'd just have to print them out, make your holster, and mail it out.

Watch which medium you use, the PLA is water soluble making wet forming a bit difficult. Also, the print out may be brittle, not as strong as an epoxy. If you where to print one out and use a rubber mould and then reverse cast an epoxy one, you would be fine, in my opinion.

Edited by TheModifier

I have some stl files of guns and there is a local company that can make an inexpensive print for me. I'll test it and see how it works. I have also looked at companies that actually scan and print firearms for manufacturers, and they will sell you a print of one of their scans BUT it is more expensive than a Blue Gun.

3D scanners are becoming affordable :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Matter-Form-Desktop-3D-Laser-Scanner-Auth-Dealer-/221802798078

Bob

Just becareful of the sizes you want to print

3D models within 0.25 mm of the size and detail of the original object. Scan items up to 7.5 x 7.5 x 9.8"

Isn't large enough for what you are wanting in my opinion.

Not a specific one I have been looking at, just an example of affordable prices.

Bob