Alfa34

Casing , Soak Or Spray/sponge ?

Newbie here, I have been reading and following all the topics and have learned so much from this site. I am a little confused on casing or wetting of the leather. I understand that everyone has a technique that works for them. I have notice how my stamping looks at varied times in the drying process. My question is: do I only soak the leather and wait for the right time to carve only, and for stamping I should just sponge or spray water on top surface? Or are both done after soaking? Again thanks for all the valuable info here, I have made a few knife sheathes and a holster. Each one gets better , my stitching was a mess. But has improved due to this site. Wanting to start on some stamping carving to take it up a notch. Will post a pic when something is worthy.

I generally use a spray bottle, tool after a little bit of waiting. I like the spray over a bowl because it is hard to spill.

Sponge. On the back side of the leather. :dunno:

Spray bottle and sponge.....just depend on my mood.

If, by "Casing" you're referring to the prep for stamping/tooling, and not wet-forming, I don't know of anyone who recommends actually soaking (submerging) the leather to case it. If you look at the Bob Parks tutorial (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19121) and give it a try, start with less water than you think you'll need. It's amazing how wet the leather can get soaking in plastic overnight.

I'm new to, at this point I'm preferring the spray bottle method. I just give it an even misting and spray more as needed. It's working for me so far.