stormtroopersse

Advice Buying Leather Sewing Machine

hiya all.

i,m looking to buy a sewing machine for leatherwork budget i have is £700 (from u/k).

i,m guessing a compound machine is what i need and is to be used for belts bags baby blankets ect.

there is so many on the u/k ebay is there any one that can advise me a good choice to go for.

these 3 i,ve come across but not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272119471937?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272106708620?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172083003506?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any help plz.

While I can't comment on the suitability of the various Adlers (there are others on here who are far more knowledgeable on that aspect), a cylinder arm is potentially more versatile if you only intend buying one machine.

I would approach obviously repainted machines with a healthy dose of caution.

I always view machines with crude stickers that say "Adler" (or whatever the brand name is) in the wrong font as a sign of a poor lipstick-on-a-pig type rebuild. That cylinder arm machine falls in that category.

I'm also still not sure how Kochs Adler ever allowed authentic machines to leave the factory with their company name misspelled on the type plate.

The type plate on the Adler 167-72 says

"Kochs Adlernähmaschinen Werke AG" when it should say

"Kochs Adler Nähmachinenwerke AG"

I would advise against buying a machine on Ebay unless you can inspect it in person to make sure it's in good working condition, or you REALLY trust the seller.

Adler machines in general are good machines as long as they're authentic and not worn-out factory zombies with a quick repaint.

A machine with lightly/moderately worn original paint is preferable to a machine with questionable re-paint in my mind, because is gives a more authentic picture of the past life of the machine.

The Adler 167 (and many other makes/models) came in various subclasses and configurations with varying specs. Read up on the model brochures like the Adler 167 Brochures to make sure the model you're considering is suited for leatherwork. The Adler 167-72 is okay, but not the best version in that model line for leather work (the 167-73 has more desirable specs). Big needles and thread capacity, large stitch length and foot lift are usually a good sign, as are certain model number extensions like -73, -373, -370 for certain Adlers.

All three machines in your list are repaints with various issues. I'm not sure any of them are a really great candidate.

The whole "which model" topic is quite complex, I'm afraid.

Edited by Uwe

Check out this Juki Lu-563 - it's one of the cleanest and most honest looking machine on Ebay UK in your price range, I think. The flatbed part has been repainted, but the top looks totally original and very clean. The Juki LU-563 machines are great machines, easy to maintain and adjust, and they have good specs and parts availability.

Hi storm

Im also in uk and ive sold a machine to one of the people that have one of the ones your looking at on ebay he was a nightmare to deal with. I sold the machine on a sunday and it was back on ebay on monday for double the price..

What part of the uk are you in??

Pm me and i can suggest a good trustworthy guy thats based in london who may be able to help you.

Ls1

hiya ty for replys.

the juki lu 563 you mentioned uwe is from the same company as the other ones i listed,just wondering if theres problems with the others should i just avoid this company.

Look up the local guys (within an hour or two drive) and give them a call. They may have something for you already and having a local guy who can help you with a new machine is worth tons. If this is your first industrial, you will have problems and frustrations, and this is normal. The local guy will be a huge asset, as he is your connection to needles when you need them NOW and thread when you have to match the color in person, or that screw you dropped through the floor boards....

Industrial machines are NOT sit down and jam in fabric machines like home ones. They require at least some setup changes every time you switch from thick to thin materials or leather to fabric, or change thread size etc..the local guy can show you how instead of talking you through it.

Also, i noticed you listed baby blankets as one of the things you want to do with it, be careful trying to get a machine that will do everything. Most industrials are a compromise, and a machine that sews heavy and thick well won't do as good on thin delicate things. I suggest a robust home machine, even an old singer or white treadle for the fabric usage and use the industrial for the heavy stuff and leather.

The 563 is a good machine but i would always recomend having a servo motor on it.

I personaly wouldnt have a clutch motor anymore but thats just me.

What thickness of leather are you sewing?

Nice machine but i know nothing about adlers but someone will know whats ok on here...

Just remember if you buy from a private seller just cost in the fact you will need a service and perhaps maybe a repair if need be as not everyone are 100% genuine

We really have no idea whether a particular machine is any good or not by looking at the ebay auction post.

Nearly all brands and models of sewing machines that are suitable for leather work have been discussed on this forum before - usually at length.

Do a quick basic research on any machine you're considering on this site to see what has been discussed before. It'll take you just a few minutes to decide if it's a desirable kind of machine or not.

Use the "site:leatherworker.net make model" template to search. For example, type "site:leatherworker.net adler 69" into the Google search window to see what folks have said about that model of machine before. If nothing pops up, that's also a sign that you're looking at a machine you should avoid.

As for individual ebay auctions, you are pretty much on your own. We can't tell you whether or not, or how much to bid at an auction.

Edited by Uwe

hiya.

i did come across this machine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172083003506?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

anyone know if this one is any good.ty.

That machine has been repainted, and bears the marks on the arm of having sewn miles and miles of binding, probably at a factory. It is likely worn out.

Unless you know what you are buying, and what questions to ask, likely an ebay machine will cost you double or more. It is always cheaper to buy something once for a little more than buying it twice because the first one was a junker.

This is why we tell you to talk to a dealer or two. The less you know about industrial machines, the more likely you will get screwed unless you have someone who knows the market helping you. Dealers make money on service, and generally don't want to sell you a lemon. It doesn't pay for them in the long run.

Many of them unload the machines that no-one else wants on ebay........

Edited by TinkerTailor

ty all for replys went to a dealer in the end and told him what i wanted to do and they recommended me the singer 211 A566AA

which i just brought for over £700.