BeUnico

Question On Finishing Edges

I read the great thread on finishing edges but I still need guidance.

I need to join these two pieces together so I glue right up to the edge

before sewing, right? Then I treat the edge as though it were one thick

piece of leather.

Ok I have no gum trag, and actually not much of anything, product wise.

What I do have is glycerin soap, a liquid product that is meant to soften saddles ( smells like

olive oil but contains 15% beeswax and 20% lanolin), gel antique, super sheen and tan kote...um that's it.

What to do? Suppose the logical answer would be, buy what you need before starting 😊😁

post-69896-0-91222000-1455908999_thumb.jpost-69896-0-88186000-1455909086_thumb.jpost-69896-0-51935000-1455909140_thumb.j

Edited by BeUnico

What you'll want to do is glue the pieces together a short distance in from the edge (maybe 1/4"), trim the edges totally even. I usually stitch next, then burnish the edges using more or less Bob Park's method. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

Bill

Thank you Billybopp 👍🏼

What you'll want to do is glue the pieces together a short distance in from the edge (maybe 1/4"), trim the edges totally even. I usually stitch next, then burnish the edges using more or less Bob Park's method. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

Bill

I have to ask, why stop in 1/4" from the edge? The edges should be close enough that you could almost "trim" using sand paper and unless you are using 2 pieces of 14oz, your stitch line is going to be 1/8" - 3/16" from the edge and from what I've seen, burnishing doesn't keep the edges completely together.

That's the problem I encountered with my first project Halitech, the two layers of leather tended to separate in a few places.

Logical, everyone has their own method.

Many thanks x

that's why I glue right to the edge, burnish, sew, burnish again. And my stitch line is usually 1/8" from the edge and I don't get any separation

I probably wasn't clear about what I was saying, the glue should go from the very edge to about 1/4" in, give or take. That's far enough in from the edge to allow for a little trimming and sanding with enough margin for error that your stitches will still hit the glued area. Also, make sure your glue layer is really thin, otherwise it can make your edge burnishing look .. well .. not right.

Bill

Thank you both guys, my edges are not straight but I've got the idea of it 👍🏼

I used glycerin soap and just water, I haven't slicker do I used a piece of denim

cloth as suggested by the expert on another thread.

My edges are not straight, it's all far from perfect but it's only my second project

almost done. Will tan kote.

Thanks again 😘

post-69896-0-60878900-1456007056_thumb.j

post-69896-0-32633800-1456007117_thumb.j

Billy, that makes more sense. The way you worded it was your glue line was in 1/4" from the edge, not that you were gluing in from the edge to 1/4"

BeUnico, that looks good and I would really recommend getting the multi-tool slicker. It makes it much easier to various thicknesses of leather

If you put the effort into burnishing, water and saddle soap will yield an amazing result.