PeterMichigan

Tandy Biosilk Leather (White) Tanning Chemicals Leaching Our Of Leather?

I am a violinmaker and have purschased Tandy biosilk white leather (chrome free tanning). I plan to use if for several purposes in my shop, including laying it on my bench as a protection so the violin I am working on is not scratched or dented. My question relates to concerns of any of the chemicals used to tan / process this leather effecting the varnish on the instrument. Any insights into how this leather is processed or the chemicals used? Any ideas would be appreciated

-Peter

I believe it is aldehyde-tanned leather. They use glutaraldehyde. They use this kind of leather where skin allergies are concerned. While some people can have allergic reaction to this kind of leather, I guess it's less common than chrome.

While glutaraldehyde is an irritant, I don't think that any significant is left in the leather after the process.

You can read thorough a patent here:
http://www.google.com/patents/US2941859

An article on home tanning (multiple methods) including glutaraldehyde.
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/L-103.html

I am a violinmaker and have purschased Tandy biosilk white leather (chrome free tanning). I plan to use if for several purposes in my shop, including laying it on my bench as a protection so the violin I am working on is not scratched or dented. My question relates to concerns of any of the chemicals used to tan / process this leather effecting the varnish on the instrument. Any insights into how this leather is processed or the chemicals used? Any ideas would be appreciated

Hello and welcome to the forum.... I actually saw you yesterday.... I was sitting in the middle of the store on some leather hides.... I kinda look like Santa....lol

Sadly I am not familiar with the tannate.

Lew

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it

(and it was good hearing from you, I do remember you sitting on the leather stack

-Peter

Edited by PeterMichigan