Fredo

Springfield Emp And Springfield Micro 1911 Same?

Hi folks, I usually don't post much but I read almost every day and can find the answers. In this case no such luck.

I have an order for a paddle holster (I know I know) for a Springfield EMP 1911 however I can not find one in any of the blue/red gun suppliers I normally use.

Has anyone encountered this before. By looking at the specs on the Springfield web site they look to be very close to size and shape. I "THINK" the EMP is a nicer version with stainless vs. gun blue finish on the Micro.

I have the Micro and I'm wondering if I can make it work for the EMP. The customer does not want any retention other than friction from the molding/boning.

Thanks in advance

Fredo

San Diego CA

I was going to say probably but now I'm not so sure. The EMP has a full 5" grip fame where the Micro appears to be an Officer's model although I can't find any specs for it on Springfields web site. More research is in order on this one. You might try asking this one over at The Firing Line forums, someone there might be able to get an answer pretty quick.

Stu

Edited by stu925

I have a Micro .45, . . . one of the neatest little guns I've ever held, . . . and I also have a Micro blue gun.

They are the same of course.

FWIW, . . . I made an IWB for a friend in NY, . . . for his EMP, . . . 9mm, . . . using the Micro mold.

He loved it, . . .

I'm thinking the only difference is the one you pointed out, . . . the Micro has the shorter officer's length grip, . . . the EMP has the full size grip. I went over to Ebay, . . . they have a definite difference in the grip lengths for Micro and EMP.

And if that is the only difference, . . . the molding would work, . . . grip length is a non issue.

May God bless,

Dwight

Can't confirm the similarities/differences between the EMP vs. micro... But Duncan's currently has mold guns for the EMP.

deleted duplicate post. Damned "smart" phone making me dumb.

Edited by Joon1911

I have a Micro .45, . . . one of the neatest little guns I've ever held, . . . and I also have a Micro blue gun.

They are the same of course.

FWIW, . . . I made an IWB for a friend in NY, . . . for his EMP, . . . 9mm, . . . using the Micro mold.

He loved it, . . .

I'm thinking the only difference is the one you pointed out, . . . the Micro has the shorter officer's length grip, . . . the EMP has the full size grip. I went over to Ebay, . . . they have a definite difference in the grip lengths for Micro and EMP.

And if that is the only difference, . . . the molding would work, . . . grip length is a non issue.

May God bless,

Dwight

Seems to me that was the only difference between the full size and officer's model 1911s too but maybe I'm wrong on that one. There may have been other differences that I just can't recall currently.

Stu

FWIW, . . . the original Colt officer's model only had a 3 1/2 inch barrel, . . . and some said it kicked like a Ky mule.

My micro has a 3 inch barrel and doesn't kick any worse than my Commander size.

Were you able to dig up anything else Fredo???

You have my curiosity up now.

May God bless,

Dwight

I believe I can shed some light here.

The Springfield Micro is a 3" 1911 with an Officer's frame, generally in .45ACP.

The EMP is a down-scaled 1911 model (7/8th scale) to suit shorter 9mm and .40S&W cartridges.

Here is a picture directly from Springfield Armory comparing the 2 models. post-30093-0-44801900-1457063611_thumb.j

I believe both Ring's and Duncan's make EMP molds.

Hi Dwight, I have a sample holster for the Micro that I've sent to the customer for a "Fit test" we will have a definitive answer in a few days and I'll post it here. Then we will all know. Thank you (and everyone) for the feedback. I love this forum.

Fredo

San Diego CA

I don't have either pistol but from what I understand BHP nailed it. The Micro is a 3" barreled 1911 with a shorter grip but the same frame dimensions in all other aspects while the EMP has a scaled down frame built specifically for the 9mm and 40. An EMP may fit OK, in a holster built and fit to a Micro but it'll probably be a little loose.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm hoping that I will be able to address any looseness with the stich line and or by adding a Chicago screw tensioner.

Thanks for the feed back

Well here's an update. I received a reply from the gent who tried the Micro Holster with his EMP. His response is that it fits perfectly! He liked it so much he asked if he can keep the holster I sent for the test and ordered the holster for his EMP with the requested art work in a different color (Brown) so it looks like the Micro blue gun will work for the EMP. I will add that the holster I made for the Micro was tight, real tight on the Micro blue gun. I made it that way to give it the required retention since it does not have a strap or thumb break retention system. Since the EMP in .9mm or 40 is a slight bit thinner then the Micro in.45 ACP the added tightness turns out to be the best option to insure a good fit. YAY ME!

Fredo

San Diego CA

Edited by Fredo