indidana

Purse Addition Help

A friend's wife wants me to make this tote for her. She wants me to add a piece of leather to separate the interior into two compartments. One side for her gun (a 1911) and the other for her makeup, wallet, etc. I don't have a clue how to add the piece she wants without adding another stitch line to attach it to the bag. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

post-62762-0-84685500-1457297614_thumb.p

Hi Indidana!

Depending on the size of the interior pockets she wants, you can take advantage of the ornamental piece of leather in the middle of the bag!

See that's what I was thinking, too. But she just wants two compartments, and I had envisioned doing it the entire length of the bag, instead of across it using the ornamental piece stitch lines.

You can do that as well! And put one of the division stitches matching the ornamental piece outside.

If it were me (and I'm not a holster maker so take this suggestion with that in mind) I would make a design similar to a Mexican loop holster and attach that holster by sewing it in along the same stitch lines as the carved ornamental piece. I don't like the idea of the gun being in the bag without it being secured to something. So I would take the part of the Mexican loop holster that attaches to the belt (I think the technical term for it is the skirt) and attach that to the bag. The holster part of the Mexican loop holster goes down into that and is secured by belts in the skirt. You could probably find a holster pattern and modify it to work inside this bag.

My first thought when reading the original post was she wanted the interior separated into two large compartments instead of one huge compartment. With that in mind I was thinking one big piece running long ways from center end to center end. There are already stitch lines on the ends, just attach the divider at that stitch line?

I also agree with the suggestion of adding a dedicated 'holster' to secure the 1911. I believe it is irresponsible to carry a loaded handgun loose in a bag.

steve