Hi!

has anyone ever tried woodstain or varnish on leather products?.. if yes, how did it went?

i have not tried it yet as a can of woodstain costs some.. and there's no where i could find better Dyes so i'm resulting to unconventional ideas

I know of people who do use the wood products on leather but they are not formulated for it and can cause damage and issues down the road. May not be easy to get products specifically for leather but at least you know that they are intended to be used on it whereas the "unconventional" methods that you reference are not. As a professional craftsman I have no interest in trying non-leather formulations on my goods.

Good luck with your search.

My dayjob is working in a paintshop, and I would NOT do the solvent outdoor wood stain on leather... A maybe for a test with the new all(most) acrylic wood stain, inndoor wood stain, but I dont think it would any good.. but just for trying, trying is fun ;) -But I think the result would be sticky, sobby, mushy, uneven, maybe desolve...? Darn, maybe I'll try myself ;) -but only the indoor acrylic wood stain to test.

I have actually tought on wood varnish as finish for leather, (the indoor acrylic products) maybe I'll try this too, just for tesing and fun, I know that we can use our indoor wood floor laquer/varnish on wallpaper for sealing if wallpaper is in front of dishwasher/sink (?) to protect from water splashes. Would have to thin it, of course, with water or super sheene maybe, before applying on leather.

Eva

One thing I have never understood is the desire to shortcut on the finish when you have some serious money invested in the beautiful leather that you are working with. I am a Professional at this trade and would never put the quality leather to the test of whether or not something that wasn't intended for it could be used. Only the finest dyes/stains and finishes find their way onto my leather products and if they were to stop producing their product, I would have to retire or take up another trade that would allow me to continue to be a professional and not a tinkerer.

@ Erystawi

i'd love to know your results. post them here when you can :). i didnt want to spend a lot for a can of woodstain only to use a table spoon for testing so i wanted to ask

I agree trying out new things are fun. Its the best way to come up with a discovery that may seem sloppy at first :)

I tried some oil based wood dye on some scrap veg tan. Just see what it would do. It soaked in alright, but only coloured the leather lightly. When it dried it shrunk the leather and hardened it.