treq10

Recommendations For Veg Tan Hides?

I'm looking to make straps and belts from undyed veg-tan leather. I really like the color of natural veg tan with patina accents from conditioning/burnishing. Would really like to source sides or backs that are smooth on both grain and flesh sides. Anyone have any recs on an American manufacturer?

I've been using W&C English Bridle with good success and am considering their tooling/carving/holster leather as an option. I've been looking for other tanneries, too, and would really like to hear your recs before I make a choice.

Thanks!

-Dave

This question is asked over and over again and has numerous responses from several people. But, here is a list of other options.

- Hermann Oak Tannery, St. Louis, MO: you need to order a run of 10 hides if you order direct

- Springfield Leather, Springfield, MO: you can purchase backs, sides, double shoulders, etc. of Hermann Oak without the need to order 10 hides; if you are a licensed business then look into their wholesale program for a price break

- The Hide House, Napa, CA: they are distributors of all leathers to the fashion and saddlery industries and have wide range of options, including Hermann Oak. They also have a wholesale program and no real minimum order threshold

There are other suppliers out there but the quality of their leathers is less than the Hermann Oak or Wicket & Craig quality and their inventory is even more questionable. The biggest thing to consider is where your location is in relation to the location of the sources I have provided. I would also recommend that you do a search for what you are looking for here within these forums and you just might find even more suggestions from others.

We are a Hermann Oak distributor, and carry the full range of natural strap/tooling weights from them. We also carry Chahin natural strap in a full weight range. American Hides tanned in Mexico...very good quality tannage from them as well.

We also have imported double back and double shoulder options in 8/9 and 9/10oz...the double backs are clear pasted on the flesh side.

We also sell natural belt blanks anywhere from just cut straps to edge painted and buckle end punched. These are cut from double shoulders, not strap sides. We also offer a strap cutting service on any leather we sell, or a cut and edge bevel service. These are priced on a per hide basis.

We sell retail here, www.weaverleathersupply.com

If you are a wholesale eligible business PM me and we can get you setup with wholesale pricing.