Jarednem

Best Edge Wax Mixtures? Ingredients And Ratios?

I have recently made my own wax for edge finishing 50/50 Beeswax and paraffin, I have also seen proprietary blended waxes for sale with special oils. Does anyone want to share info on different oils and wax people have used in there wax blends (besides bees and paraffin) the ratios and benefits . I have seen candelilla wax used

There is probably a thread for this already...if so Link it

I use 100% Beeswax...but would like to see other options...always willing to try something new...if it works better.

I use 100% Beeswax...but would like to see other options...always willing to try something new...if it works better.

I use to use straight beeswax, its very sticky. I dont know if it the right procedure but I used edge coat before putting the beeswax on, while spreading it on it would take the edge coat off with it. I went to Hobby lobby and bought beeswax and paraffin blocks to make my own 50/50 mix. It made a big difference . The mixture glides on without any damage to the edge coat.

No one else? Anyone, Anyone at all?

I use to use straight beeswax, its very sticky. I dont know if it the right procedure but I used edge coat before putting the beeswax on, while spreading it on it would take the edge coat off with it. I went to Hobby lobby and bought beeswax and paraffin blocks to make my own 50/50 mix. It made a big difference . The mixture glides on without any damage to the edge coat.

what would be the point of putting on edge kote then covering it with beeswax? Far as I understand, edge kote was designed to replace having to burnish

I have never used edge coat...what I do is apply a light application of dye to the edge...burnish...then I rub beeswax on the burnished edge and the burnish again...repeat with beeswax if necessary, until I get the edge the way I want it.

I'm basically the same except I dye my edges when dying the rest then wet with just water, burnish, beeswax, burnish. If it needs more wax I'll add as many coats as needed.

what would be the point of putting on edge kote then covering it with beeswax? Far as I understand, edge kote was designed to replace having to burnish

i just use it as edge paint, dark brown. if u didnt burnish your edge then put edge coat on it, it would look pretty ragged. Just the way i do it and i am satisfied with how it looks. Bees wax waterproofs

Edited by Jarednem

I just wet the edge- rub a saddle soap bar on the edge- burnish. DO this about three times...re-dye...then rub in Pecard's dressing. good to go.

this is getting off topic quick. Back to the edge wax mix please

I usually splash a bit of U-82 Saddler's oil in the mix too. Not much though. I find if I sand the edges nice and even before hand, then dye with pro oil black, straight to the burnisher, I only need the wax to touch up spots.

I also do a mix with beeswax, paraffin, and enough oil to make it a soft paste. I apply that to the finished holster and heat it with a heat gun. Deepens the color nicely and puts oil back into the leather.