I want to try everything, and I've been thinking about an airbrush for a while. (I've also played with a Preval Sprayer a bit). I've poked around the forums and YouTube a bit, but I'm interested in hearing more of what the members here have to pass on to the complete airbrush newbie. I bought a Harbor Freight Deluxe Airbrush Kit, and one of their oil-less airbrush compressors. I know some people don't think highly of HF, but I've been shopping with them for years and find as long as the customer reviews are favorable, I'm usually satisfied. Granted, I may decide to go with a higher quality set-up sometime in the future, but I'll stick with this, at least for now. Two little things I think I've learned in my 20 minute airbrushing career, is #1 - between thinning dyes and not having much of it soak into a dauber or sponge, I think my dyes will go further. And #2 - I think it's easier to get a nice, light, mellow color with the saddle tan than when I apply with a sponge. Make sense?

My first airbrush newbie question - I believe I read most people use rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol to dilute Fiebing's Low VOC Spirit based dyes - correct? Is a 50/50 mix generally a good place to start, or am I way off base? Also, I think I remember concerns about the spirits degrading seals in the airbrush. Is that right? If so, what can be done about it?

I wouldn't mind hearing any tips, suggestions. opinions, etc., on using an airbrush in leatherwork. Show your work and please help me learn from your experience.

Thanks!

Bob

I used my airbrush on this dog collar (the black letters were done with a regular paint brush)

I am no expert- but really enjoy the finishes that are possible. Daubers, sponges and rags dont work for me- no control. You will find the tool maddening at times. Air pressure, clogging, tip drying etc. Practice- and read as much as you can. YouTube videos are awesome. Use old t shirts and paper to practice.

Start with light coats...you can always "add more color" if you decide your piece needs it.

Experiment with dyes and color- on this one I used full strength Fiebings saddle tan as a base. Mixed up some other colors for flowers etc.

I do use alcohol for mixing regular dye ( haven't used the low VOC) Also use alcohol for airbrush clean up...works very well. seals haven't been an issue.

Have fun!

post-39107-0-95105800-1457913025_thumb.j

Wow, nice collar. Actually I guess all these choices in dyes, stains and paints can be confusing to me. There's just so much to choose from. I think I would like to settle on just 2 or 3 lines, but still not sure what would be the best for me. I guess it depends a lot on what you're working on.

So you use regular Fiebing's dyes and sometimes dilute and sometimes not? If that's right, do you dilute based on whether or not you want to lighten the color, or am I misunderstanding you. Also, I'm assuming by "regular", you're referring to spirit based, not the oil based, right? Again, I don't think I know when or why to choose one over the other. Maybe I should have started a thread on understanding the differences between the types of dyes. lol. (and then there's "stains". :bawling:) I would like to try some of the brighter color dyes, like greens, blues, reds and yellows. I'll be placing an order with Springfield Leather late next week. Perhaps I get a few colors to experiment with. I certainly don't mind experimenting.

Thanks for the input, Eglideride. Any clarifications and/or more info you'd like to pass on would be great. BTW, is that collar lined, or is the stitching just decorative?

Edited by bob21804

Thanks!

> spirit and oil both- I treat them the same

> yes- I dilute for lighter color

> two layers back to back 2/3 oz veg tan glued and stitched/ #9 copper rivets (you could tow your neighbors broke down Chevy with your Ford F150 with it)

I usually put a light coat of pure neatsfoot oil on before staining (dry overnight).

One of the tricks I learned the hard way- let each step dry before the next - for instance resolyne (spelling). Your air brush is great for spraying that too!

Hope this helps...

(you could tow your neighbors broke down Chevy with your Ford F150 with it)

:rofl:

Thanks for the additional info on the collar. I have a buddy, who I already made collars for 2 of his dogs, and wants me to do one for his 3rd dog. I think I'll talk him into letting me do a bit fancier one - a bit more like yours.

And how did you know I have an (old) F150?! BUT, some of us might more likely be towing an old veedub with it! :thumbsup:

A couple more questions regarding learning to airbrush.

I think I want to stick with using dyes, rather than paints (at least for now). My fear is that paints are only on the surface and won't penetrate the leather as well, therefore more likely to wear off. Maybe it would make sense to try paints too, in the future, but only on items that wouldn't see regular use/wear. Is this a valid thought, or am I off the mark here?

Also, I've been using mostly Tandy Eco-Flo dyes, and more recently some Fiebing's - all the more earth tone colors - tans, browns and black. I haven't yet experimented with any of the brighter colors, such as blues, greens, reds, yellows, etc. But now that I picked up the airbrush, I'm ready to start trying more color too. I'll be ordering from Springfield Leather within the next couple days and I see they sell Fiebings and Angelus brands that look like they'll fit the bill. I'm wondering if either one would be a better choice, specifically with airbrushing in mind, though I'm sure I'll use them without the airbrush too. I'm wondering if either one would thin out easier/better. Or maybe there are considerations I;m not even thinking about. Do you have a preference? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Bob

Edited by bob21804

I have shoot fiebings Pro oil, solvent, angulus and the bright colored tandy water based dyes through both my HF brush and my iwata straight with out diluting without problem. I have also diluted with denatured but it was for color and not because any of those wouldn't flow. Does your compressor have the ability to control?

For resolene I have to turn the pressure way up to around 35lbs. I dilute the resolene about 60% water to 40 resolene and strain it. Otherwise it wont flow for more than a couple of minutes. I have had my harbor freight for over a year and have not had any problems. If you use it for resolene clean it immediately after use. Seriously .. not five minutes but right after you set up your project to dry.

I bought my iwata because I was doing some stuff with really fine lines and the control from the harbor freight wasnt there for me but it has been a great work horse for under 20 bucks. So long as I clean it it runs like a top and is great for gradients and base color.

Thinning acrylics for use is like math for me .. I am good at neither.

Alex, thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I've read some of your posts in other threads about airbrushing and checked out some of your work that you've posted in the group and in your websites - Some beautiful stuff there. And yes, I can control the psi on my compressor. Anyway, sounds like I shouldn't have any real issues, dependent on which dyes I choose, so unless I get comments to the contrary very soon, I'll go ahead and order a few colors in the Fiebing's and/or Angelus and just get to playin'.

For anyone experienced in airbrushing with waterbased dyes - do you clean your airbrush with just water, a special cleaner, or a combination?

Bob

If you are going to order some angulus ... try the brick red! Wow what a gorgeous color. Nice and deep and earthy. I have to find it in the big boy bottle!! :)

For water based stuff including resolene, acrylics and water dyes .. I wipe out or pour out any excess and wash the jar. Then I put a couple of drops of dish soap in a clean paint jar and fill the paint jar about half with very hot tap water and just shoot some of that through the brush. Then I take a little straight windex and shoot that through as a follow up. Never had a problem. Good Luck and have fun!!

Daggit! ya know, I placed my order right after my last post - wanted to get it in early so I should receive it before the long Good Friday weekend. And I saw that brick red, and thought about it, but didn't get it. I will next time! I do intend to have fun. I can't have any fun doing it, I'll do something else!