Dwight

Pattern Needed: Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) Vest

For a long time, I've wanted a Ben Cartwright vest, . . . and kept telling myself I'd make one some day.

Well, . . . today I spent some time on the computer getting screen pics of him, . . . and finally got a really good frontal shot with his hands and everything else out of the way, . . . so I could really see it.

I have nothing really near it, . . . was just hoping somebody here does, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I might be wrong, but it looks to me like a standard straight cut vest with a collar added to it. Modifying the one in Tandy's vest pattern pack might do the trick. Along with the pics on this page http://www.leather-shop.biz/mens-leather-vests/mens-leather-vest-bonanza-style-mlv75/ you should be able to copy it. If you need the vest pattern, send me a PM.

Thanks, Thor, . . . the vest in the link has a couple of variations, . . . one being the collar.

I had to do a bunch of pictures, . . . but in all of them, I could not see the collar going all the way around. It looks like it goes up to the shoulder and is then tucked in and sewn to that seam.

I had forgotten about the Tandy pack, . . . and I think I've got one of them somewhere, . . . just have to go look. Thanks for that heads up.

May God bless,

Dwight

Had to search pretty hard to find it, cause the collar is usually covered by the collar of his shirt, but I'm positive that the collar goes all around now.

Check these pictures please:

https://autrylibraries.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/dortort-greene-88-1.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-colonel-episode-15-pictured-john-larkin-as-col-frank-medford-as-picture-id145136457

They are too large to post them here.

Obviously the collar is part of the left and right as well as of the back element and then stitched together. That must be the reason why it looks like it's tucked in at the shoulders.

If you manage to get it done I'd like to see the result :)

Thor, . . . woo-hoo, . . . you are correct, . . . all the pictures I had, . . . just could not see that back side detail.

In all honesty, though, . . . just for simplicity sake, . . . I may somehow miss the back part of the collar detail, . . . that looks like it would be a pain to get done right real correct, . . . line up with front and all.

If you heard a bit of jumping up and down, . . . that was me too, . . . the first picture also had a real good shot of the details on his holster and belt. I might even make one of those, . . . but if I do, . . . it'll have bullet loops in the back.

I never paid any attention when we used to watch the show, . . . none of them had bullet loops in their gun belt, . . . went to town and all with only the 5 in their guns.

Thanks again, pal, for the assistance, . . . it'll be a while I'm thinking, . . . but with any luck at all we'll get it done and post the results.

May God bless,

Dwight

LOL you're right and I never paid attention to that either, but than again this was the time when they all had endless ammunition in their volts ;-)

If you want to make the holster as well you might like to have this link as well https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6314459_lorne-greene-gunbeltquickdraw-rig-from-bonanza

If I can figure it out how it's been done correctly - the collar - I'll let you know.

I had seen that picture before, . . . but the other one you sent shows the detail very well, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I am in exactly the same boat as you.  I have been researching many vests but that style was my number one choice.  I'm still looking.. Hawk.  As an added item,  I noticed the sideways roman numeral ten on all of the gunbelts on the show so I ran that logo and found great info about  Arvo Ojala and his man contributions to the show.  I, unfortunately, can't find my copy of that vest pattern.  Your friend, Hawk,  Hawk's Cherokee Leather Co.

Hey Dwight... they kept the extra cartridges in their vest pockets ;)

Hey Hawk, if you pay real close attention to the gunbelts, you'll notice they are worn just about every week, but by different people. Except the Cartrites, they always wore the same belt... and the same clothes. They may have smelled a bit gamey, week after week, but at least they could edit different shots into different episodes and look the same.

Even the Cartwright's guns were made by Arvo Ojala, along with everyone else, and I think the harnesses used by the show too.  The gunbelts were almost as durable as the clothes.  They did change to dress clothes occasionally, probably to have the other one's laundered. HA