I am having a little problem with my work, and don't know who to ask for help. The project is wet forming leather for a small pouch in a two part form. When I pull my forms apart there is a lot of staining on part of the leather. My forms are maple, with a coat of lacquer. I am soaking the leather in fairly hot water before I put them in the form. Then I am using some very modest heat to help dry them in the form. I will attach photos so you can see the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks. 

stain 2.jpg

stain 1.jpg

56f4916ec5740_stain1.thumb.jpg.9b4618ffc

56f4917a30d0a_stain2.thumb.jpg.2d87ac4f0

It looks like most of the staining is coming from the base. I would lightly sand the base and the mold to give the finish some tooth then refinish with 3 or more coats. Make sure all areas of the mold and base are sealed, even where they attach to each other.

Roq, I tried the mold again with cold water this time, the hot water seems to have been the problem. No staining at all. I didn't know you could form leather without warming it up first. I am also going to give my mold a couple more coats of lacquer as you suggest Roq, thanks, Garry. 

Edited by Bigfoote
make clearer who I was answering.

I've always used cool to lukewarm water when doing my wet molding. I know boiling hot was used in armour making but cool water seems to give me more time to get things stretched out and in proper position over hot.

Thanks Halitech, I have done a couple since with cold water, and no problem. Also the leather is not near as stiff when finished. I'm still learning :) appreciate the feed back.