Sign in to follow this  
avturk

western saddle repair question

I have two western saddles that I purchased used that have a similar type of damage. Apparently the previous owners used a saddle rack that was peaked rather than rounded and when the saddle was pulled off the rack the underside of the seat was torn, exposing galvanized metal underneath. I don't expect this will ever have an effect on the function or life of the saddle but it looks terrible. Any thoughts on how to repair this? I was initially thinking about moistening and stretching the ends back together and just stitching it but there is some of the original material missing now. I have never built a saddle or disassembled one to repair it.

Kelly's Birthday 102_512x768.jpg

56f7d8c522453_KellysBirthday102_512x768.

I would question the desirability of doing this repair, just trimming any loose, dangling material; but if you must, the skirts need to be removed which varies according to the type of rigging, etc. Then you can glue a new cover on and replace the skirts. While you're at it replace the strings and maybe wash and oil everything.

Thanks very much for your reply.