sandyt

Singer 133k17 threading and stitch length adjustment

Hi people,

I recently purchased a Singer 133k17.

I can't find a manual for it. There are a few links, but they don't seem to work.

Could somebody tell me how to thread it? The way I did it doesn't seem logical to me.

And could somebody tell me how to change the stitchlength? I know I have to push the button and turn the handwheel. When I do so, the stitchlength changes or it feeds backwards. But I don't seem to get the logic in it?? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greetings,

Sandy. 

20160328_203829.jpg

20160328_203829.thumb.jpg.13fafd777de029

Another pic.

20160328_203844.jpg

20160328_203844.thumb.jpg.d7b3bcd83f465f

Hi Dikman,

The thing I am concerned about is the thread making a steep angle going up. My other machines don't do that.

And there is the pin (pin) I don't use. I marked it with the red arrow. Should it be used?

Sandy.

20160329_075426.jpg

20160329_075426.thumb.jpg.92e11896eae4d7

I was wondering about that bit myself, but looking at the photos I don't see any other way of threading it. I found a parts list for your machine, but no manual. I did find, however, that it's the long-arm version of the 133K8, and Constabulary mentioned in an older post that he had a manual for it. Send him a PM to see if it's still available.

I just found this image of a 133K8, which shows the threading. You may be right about the angle of the thread, this one appears to have an arm of some kind extending above the tensioner. Will have to compare the parts lists to make any sense of it.

133k13-441425a.jpg

Edited by dikman

I have to look for the file. I had them on a separate hard drive which is crashed I hope I can restore the files.

Dikman,

I have to compare more pictures I guess. Didn't think of the parts list. Maybe the name of that part gives me an idea what's it for. 

I don't think it is the long arm version of the 133k8? Mine has drop feed and a jumpfoot? The k8 is a darning machine?

Constabulary, too bad for that hard drive. Hope you can restore your data sometime. Good thing there is 'the cloud' these days. Lost a few hard drives myself. 

Sandy, that photo is the only one I could find that had a decent view of the thread path.I realise it's different in the base to yours, but I'm assuming they made variations of the machine for different uses? As for the 17 being the long arm version of the 8, I'm only repeating what I came across in my searching. I couldn't find a manual or parts list for the 8, and only a parts list for the 17 (at Hendersonsewing.com).

Can you post a closeup photo of the area around the tensioner assembly? It's intriguing as it's different to my machines.. Judging by the lack of responses there doesn't seem to be much info around about the 17.

Definitely thanks for your time Dikman.

Tried to download the parts manual. Again, I can't open it. Have to sort that out. Happens a little too often lately.

I found some pictures of a 132k6. I didn't know that machine btw. The threading is pretty similar. The thread on that machine also makes a steep angle! I guess it's just the way to do it. Here is a pick of the threading on a 132k6.

Yesterday I was at my 133k17. Forgot to take a closup picture. I am missing the loop in the middle. Have to manufacture that one.

Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-11-47.png

Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-11-47.thumb.png

Thank you so much Constabulary. I will have a look at the machine tomorrow with the manual!

Sandy. 

Hi All

I have one of these machines and use it for sewing PVC, thick layers of acrylic cloth as well as heavy webbings on the corners of sails. I also do a sub-contract job for a local company when the machine is at full speed all day (apart from bobbin changes). It copes with this without any problems. I use it most days for one job or another.

The way that it's shown to be treaded is fine. The offset angle of the thread at the take-up arm is not a problem. I would suggest tapping on a piece of plastic tube half way along the arm to hold the thread up and out of the way otherwise it get caught on the work as it's manoeuvred under the arm.

Stitch length is adjusted by rolling the flywheel toward you with the button held in until it clicks into position. While still holding the button in roll the flywheel towards you to lengthen the stich or away from you to shorten. The amount of movement to change the stitch length is not too much so I always test on a piece of cloth before sewing the real thing.

I've set mine into a machine pit so that the table top is level with the floor. It means that I don't have to lift the work up to the machine. Therefore I don't have to stop the work pulling away sideways all the time, especialy on big sails where the weight of a corner patch will take charge and it's a struggle to keep it sewing straight. 

It's a great machine. I love it. I oil it before and after every use and sometimes, if the fabric is dry and creating dust, I'll oil the hook race on every bobbin change. So far, it runs trouble free (I've had it for over twenty years). I do get dust around the hook race but it's easily cleaned out with a stiff paint brush.

My machine was built around 1943 - 1944 but didn't see much use after WW2 as it was used to repair seat covers for British Rail until it came out of service with them in the early 1980's. I got hold if it in the late 1990's. It will see me out!

I would love to see some photos of the bobbin housing and how attaches to the machine. I'm restoring/converting at 133k16 to sew again and there is very little online about it.

7 hours ago, jonnyharris85 said:

I would love to see some photos of the bobbin housing and how attaches to the machine. I'm restoring/converting at 133k16 to sew again and there is very little online about it.

At what point are you with your machine? With bobbin housing you mean the complete hook or just the bobbin case? If you have installed the hook on the drive shaft the bobbin case is held in place by a retainer and a bar that goes from left to right (positioning finger):

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/1347-98419-bobbin-case-retainer-seiko-singer.html

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/103011-2528-singer-133k-bobbin-case-position-finger.html

You should stay in the thread you started so we do not have to ask for pictures again (if needed) and it is easier to follow your steps.

Edited by Constabulary

On 3/29/2016 at 7:16 PM, dikman said:

Sandy, that photo is the only one I could find that had a decent view of the thread path.I realise it's different in the base to yours, but I'm assuming they made variations of the machine for different uses? As for the 17 being the long arm version of the 8, I'm only repeating what I came across in my searching. I couldn't find a manual or parts list for the 8, and only a parts list for the 17 (at Hendersonsewing.com).

Can you post a closeup photo of the area around the tensioner assembly? It's intriguing as it's different to my machines.. Judging by the lack of responses there doesn't seem to be much info around about the 17.

looks like the long arm version of the  133K8.  rare machine!

glenn