AdamGadut

Burnish on Flimsy Leather

How do you burnish flimsy leather's edge?... 

i have some nice oil tanned leather thats about 2.2 mm thick but is very supple enough that its soft to touch and difficult to burnish by hand... i dont have some hand tools to burnish by machine, so i was wondering what would an expert do?...

i also noticed some chrome tanned leather bags with leathers that are sooo crazy soft and have burnished edges... this made me wonder, how on earth did they burnish those?...

I would say lay it on a flat surface and rub it with canvas. If you need to burnish both sides just flip it over and repeat.

Chrome tan leathers are very hard or near impossible to get to burnish just by their nature.  Usually people will roll the edges over so they can't be seen or use edge paint like robs456 was linking to.  Oil tan leathers I'm not so sure about.  I don't have any experience with them but I don't think they are very good at burnishing either.

One thing that really helps is being able to use both hands.  I like using a drill press with a burnishing wheel bit.  You can get the bits for $15-20 and a used drill press off craigslist for around $25-50 usually.