so this is the second holster i have made with vinegaroon and it screwed up a few parts on my gun.

Im at a loss here. this time i just painted it on with a brush like everyone else. soaked it for a LONG time in baking soda mix, then rinsed thouroughly with water, then let the holster dry completely before putting my firearm in, and this still happened

IMG_20160403_161907.jpg

i cant have  this happen to another customers gun, maybe i have to switch to something else.

anyone use tandys ecoflo dyes? they are on sale this month. I just worry about bleeding off on peoples clothes. especially since a holster will get wet from sweat and stuff. that's why i thought the roon would be a good idea, but i have had nothing but problems with it.

Edited by tardis86

did you oil the holster once dipped or brushed with the groon?  You did not mention that or if there was any other sealing done to the leather once it was completed!  I mixed 2 batches last summer but have yet to use any on a customers item, however I do have some leather out in the shop that was grooned and heavily oiled and rubbed down with a wax oil combo and it is still leaching oil. Also from what I understand if left to long in either post bath can have an adverse reaction as well, you mentioned rinsing for a long time. 

yea it has a few coats of evoo and a few coats of snoseal.

Well then I guess without a doubt something went wong and your choice to not use it my not be a bad idea.

You don't need to soak it for a long time in the baking soda solution. If you dunk it for 5 minutes in the vinegaroon, then 5 minutes in the baking soda is all that's needed.

5 minutes ago, Halitech said:

You don't need to soak it for a long time in the baking soda solution. If you dunk it for 5 minutes in the vinegaroon, then 5 minutes in the baking soda is all that's needed.

yea, i dont know what im doing wrong, ill just use roon on other projects that dont touch metal, like card holders and such.

if you are soaking it for a long time in the baking soda, you are throwing the ph way off and that could be why  it's affecting the leather the way it is. Equal time in both baths is all that is required then allow it to dry for at least a day before doing anything else to it. And I've never had anything rust that I've used with it

That's definitely rust caused by moisture in the leather.  You will need to seal the leather with liquid resin.

Not sure what's available in your area but we use it in our business of finishing leather and have for years without issue.

How long do you let the holster dry out before applying your oil and finish? It can take days with the roon process if you dont have a hot box. 

I think it takes longer then even normal wet forming if I remember right, pretty sure some of the oils and such get drawn to the surface of the leather which can hold the moisture in. 

Another thing try not leaving the gun/knife in the holster/sheath when not being carried (sure ya know that already). Although I did leave a leatherman in a roon sheath for about 5 years now and it is still fine. Different animal I know.