jleidel

Introductions

Hi all.  I wanted to post a quick intro on the forum.  I'm new to leather working, so be patient if my questions are rather naive.  I started into the hobby after my 8-year old made his first knife (which actually turned out quite well) and subsequently wanted to make a sheath for it.  So far, I'm starting small.  Tandy kits arrive at the house along with basic tools+stamps.  I hope to tackle a new belt for myself next week.  

Thanks!

John  

Welcome aboard. I arrived here a few years ago and new to leather work. Its massively addictive. Folks here are great and very free with info and knowledge.Post a pic of your boys knife!

Thanks for the weclome!

This is a picture of the knife sheath that he and i worked on.  This is based upon the basic knife sheath from the Tandy Leather basic kit.  

I also made a wallet for my younger son with a custom stencil that I did.  I'll post a picture of it as well.  

IMG_0065.jpg

This is the wallet I made for my other son.  The stencil is one that I made using some vector graphics as a test.  I'm still working on getting the hang of lacing.  I admit that I'm rather ham fisted with respect to certain small tasks.  I also need to invest in some better needles/tools.  

IMG_6520.jpeg

Where in Texas are you located?

1 hour ago, rickdroid said:

Where in Texas are you located?

I'm in McKinney, but often wander down to Austin and out through west Texas.  

When you are coming to Austin, if you are going to have time perhaps we can meet for coffee and tell each other tall tales about how good we are ;-).

PM me when you are coming and perhaps we can meet.

rick

Just arrived here today. Leather work was always an interest of mine. Don't know how much I can do or if I can Evan afford to try. I was in a motorcycle accident 4 years ago and am forced into retirement. Been looking for ways to be productive. I have some limitations but leather work looks like something I can learn. I have a Traumatic Brain Injury and I think I can work around my limitations. Any input, thoughts, insight, would be greatly appreciated. Negative or positive, you all do this so I value any input. Money is tight but I can work with that. I was a paramedic, firefighter, butcher, blackbelt, Ukrainian dancer, football player and juggler before the accident. The Doctor's say that is the reason I maintained my coordination. My biggest issue is memory but I write everything down. I have some issues with my left hand but it's seldom and I have found many work arounds. I just need to do something productive. I think this could give me purpose and a reason to keep fighting to get better.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, any help or ideas on books, projects, tools I can afford to start would be a huge help.

Troy Petrovich

Troypetrovich@gmail.com 

Those are great for some first projects. Hoping mine comes out close to that good :D

On 2016-04-13 at 10:06 PM, MedicPFFP said:

Just arrived here today. Leather work was always an interest of mine. Don't know how much I can do or if I can Evan afford to try. I was in a motorcycle accident 4 years ago and am forced into retirement. Been looking for ways to be productive. I have some limitations but leather work looks like something I can learn. I have a Traumatic Brain Injury and I think I can work around my limitations. Any input, thoughts, insight, would be greatly appreciated. Negative or positive, you all do this so I value any input. Money is tight but I can work with that. I was a paramedic, firefighter, butcher, blackbelt, Ukrainian dancer, football player and juggler before the accident. The Doctor's say that is the reason I maintained my coordination. My biggest issue is memory but I write everything down. I have some issues with my left hand but it's seldom and I have found many work arounds. I just need to do something productive. I think this could give me purpose and a reason to keep fighting to get better.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, any help or ideas on books, projects, tools I can afford to start would be a huge help.

Troy Petrovich

Troypetrovich@gmail.com 

I think you should copy this to a new post so you get the exposure that you want.

Tom