Primosand

Sewing Machine tweaking: Consew 226 and Cobra 16" cylinder arm

So I was able to finished my 2nd attempt (ever) at a reversible, silk lined leather packback with my two new sewing machines. I bought a used Consew 226 /w reverse and a Cobra 16 cylinder arm (also used).

I had two big issues with these two new machines that I was hoping someone could school me on just a bit.

·       On the Consew 226 the hand wheel is very hard to turn while sewing. On both of my other sewing machines I have “hand wheel turning” is very easy to do. The Cobra has a nice big hand wheel and is effortless to turn and even my old Sailrite LZ-1 is very easy to turn. But this Consew 226 is almost impossible or at least a real pain in the butt. If I take the belt off the wheel turns quiet and smooth “like butter” and I just went through and oiled the whole machine top to bottom.

o   Is the Consew 226 hand wheel being so hard to turn normal? What is the best fix?

·       Next problem I had was with the Cobra and sewing only two layers of maybe 5 oz. garment leather. The presure foot does not lock the material in place under the presure foot. You can simply slide the work out from under the foot (while the presure foot is in the locked down position). The presure foot starts to grab/hold when I use three layers of material. I know you can play with the alternating walking foot heights but how do I get the whole foot to come down farther so it pinches only two layers of thin material ???

Thanks to anyone with some answers.

jeff

2nd BP 107-reduced.jpg

2nd BP 108-reduced.jpg

2nd BP 100-reduced.jpg

2nd BP 016-reduced.jpg

2nd BP 025-reduced.jpg

2nd BP 093-reduced.jpg

Edited by Primosand
messed up

Really nice bag!

For the Consew, sounds like it its the motor brake.  Either remove the brake shoe, or press the peddle just enough to release the brake, but not hard enough to start the motor. 

For the Cobra, there is (should be) an adjustment for how far the presser feet can drop.  I will let someone else describe how to fix as I don't have a Cobra.

Tom

There is a pressure foot adjustment on the machine that you will have to play with to get it to work properly.  If the machine is like mine it sits on top of the machine sort of right above the needle area.  you would probably want to find a good neutral spot that will support multiple thickness of leather.  Your really not that far from where they are sold from in Ontario, you could always take a ride out there take a look around and get some 1st hand info.  they are located out off of the 60 fwy around Archibald exit, you can call them to get directions to get there.  We lived very near there up till three years ago them moved out to TN.  Gotta say that bag turned out real well, if you picked up material out there off of mateo st downtown it is probably pigskin if it is real supple and soft to the touch.  Did you use a pattern for that, that you found somewhere?  Again good job, enjoy the beach dude wish I was back out there cooking in the sun really miss it.

O n S

Ron  

Thanks for the help Tom.

Motor break ??? whaaaaat there is a motor break ?  

I have noticed that this problem with turning that wheel goes away with just the slightest press of the peddle but I don't have this motor break issue on my on my Cobra.

So how do you remove and reinstall or (release and reengage) this motor break?

jeff

004-red.jpg

005-reduced.jpg

The brake shoe is inside the outer end of the motor, same end your linkage hooks up to.  There are a couple threads about it somewhere here.  Do a search, or as Wizcrafts, a member here.  Since a number of photos haven't been revived yet since the software upgrade, the older threads may not show enough of what you need to see.

Tom

Tom I opened the linkage cover on my servo and there it was a ...........  "motor brake"

I disengaged the break and now my Consew 226 hand wheel rolles over like butter.

Thanks for the help Tom.