Hi ya'll - figured I'd finally get brave and post some of my stuff. I mainly do custom purses, belts, and wallets.

The client gave me an old pair of custom cowboy boots with his father's ranch brand on them. He wanted two purses made out of these for his wife and daughter - and left me with full creative control. I had already cut down and heavily reworked, cleaned, and conditioned one of the shafts to make the most use of the boot. After deciding how much of the boot was going to be useful, I had to come up with a pattern/idea that would display the most of the boot - I decided on a simple messenger bag-type purse. I used 5-7 veg tanned for the bulk of the purses/straps, dyed with gel antique Briar Brown to match the brown in the brand in the shaft.

4vdGvZu.jpg

I edged the cut boot shafts with 3-4 oz veg tanned and dyed them and the center tie-down strap in dark brown to match the stitching in the boot (it's difficult to see, but there is dark brown thread around the collar and piping of the original boot.) 

91XEMOx.jpg dkugN8e.jpg

(The back of the purses here)It was a struggle cutting the shaft of the boot from the heel counter and instep, and evening it out was a gamble - so as not to lose any more of the original boot than necessary. Again, I covered the edge of the boot shaft with 3-4 oz veg tanned leather and dyed it to match the stitching of the boot. 

s96aJRs.jpg

I used the original pull straps from the boots to secure the straps, and also what was left of the pull straps as clasp-hangs.

gfuNeHR.jpg Wp8oSnW.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sweet those came out great!

and Thank you for introducing me to Psychobilly which it turns out is right up my alley!

Alex

A strange idea perfectly handled!

14 hours ago, Boriqua said:

Sweet those came out great!

and Thank you for introducing me to Psychobilly which it turns out is right up my alley!

Alex

Thank you!

And, awesome :) Always glad to further the music! PM sometime if you need some good suggestions; I'm betting that you've got some great, talented acts out there in AZ.

Jess

9 hours ago, MasterLeatherCraftsman said:

Very Nice!!!

Thank you, so much!!

2 hours ago, LederRudi said:

A strange idea perfectly handled!

Believe me, there's nothing quite so nerve-wracking as tearing into a family 'heirloom' and hoping that you're going to have a happy customer on your hands haha. 

Beautiful work!

Wow!

On 4/17/2016 at 3:16 AM, pennyjf said:

Beautiful work!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Buttons said:

Wow!

;)

Where do you sell?

On 4/18/2016 at 11:12 AM, Buttons said:

Where do you sell?

I work off commission, only, since I do everything by hand and make my own patterns/designs and it takes a bit of time per piece. I don't advertise either, haha...it's just kind of a word-of-mouth deal, but I've got a wait-list a mile long right now :blink: