Singermania

Big New Adler Needles

Hi, I hear the new big Adler uses 1000 needles, I'm interested in these needles in leather point, does anyone know where to purchase them....other than Adler...?   I have a few machines that could take this needle including the Singer 97 and some heavy old flat bed machines....

Here's a handy needle and thread chart for anyone interested.

thread-sizes.png

Surely there is a supplier out there for the 1000 needle in leather point?????   Does Adler sell them for their new machines???

Try contacting Weaver Leather. They are an Adler supplier to leather sewers and are located in Amish country, in the USA

Steve,

When you talk to Weaver, ask for Ext. 223 which is Allen Burkholder.  He is the 205 guy and will know about #1000 needles.

glenn

I posted the following in another thread with the same question a little while ago:

The Durkopp Adler H-Type machines can use both system 794 and system 1000 Needles.

The system 1000 Needles are only made by Schmetz as of right now. The 1000H versions are the fabric point needles. They have only one leather point version, the 1000Q, which has a square tip with four cutting edges for leather work. They are only available in sizes 250, 280, and 300.

The 1000 series has slightly shorter shank and thus a longer shaft, to allow for maximum material thickness without the thicker shank part penetrating the material.

All this is what the folks at the Durkopp Adler, Schmetz, and Groetz Beckerts stand just told me a few minutes ago. I just happen to be at the TexProcess sewing machinery trade show in Atlanta.

They also said the System 794 needles are a much better choice for leatherwork because of the large number of leather point versions that are available in that needle system, from both Schmetz and Groetz Beckert.

thanks everyone for your help, I'll chase up Weavers again and see what they can do.   regards Steve

Again, thanks very much to everyone, really needed some help on this one.   We have some large flatbed Cowboy machines that take the 1000 needle and would like a leather point to add to their versatility and also we want them for all the Singer 97-10 users out there.    The 97 can easily be converted to use the ubiquitous 794 system, however I think you lose its 1" thickness sewing ability.   thanks very much Steve

ps Wrote to Campbell Randall and Weavers yesterday, am awaiting the Weavers reply.