Hi to all not sure if I am in the correct place to write this here but I am sure some one will let me know,Any ways`I own a 45k1 I think they call the shuttle area open face type.                                                                                                                                                                                           My question is`the half circular U shape thing that has a tiny hole either side that goes on to pins and stops the shuttle from falling out`I think its called a shuttle retainer plate`well some thing like that`I notice it is tapered/chamfered on the inner half circular area but not on the back,I started of removing the screw and removed the tension plate`then I removed the shuttle retainer`this is the piece that has the tapered /chamfered section on its inner circular area,Now firstly is this meant to have a tapered/chamfered side or not and if yes why,second question does the t/chamfered face the shuttle or face away from the shuttle when replacing it back on.Any advice from you guys and ladies would be great,thank 

The shuttle race cap goes in chamfer facing outwards. and that is probably the reason for the chamfer? so we can put it in the right way around?? if you need some pictures i can send them later, must rush! jimi.

On 4/20/2016 at 2:52 PM, jimi said:

The shuttle race cap goes in chamfer facing outwards. and that is probably the reason for the chamfer? so we can put it in the right way around?? if you need some pictures i can send them later, must rush! jimi.

Hi jimi I think my one does not have the type of cap you might be thinking`I have a retainner tension piece` to press on the shuttle hook retainer`I would like some pictures please if it ain`t to much trouble,thank you Jimi for the reply

I notice that I have the 45k1 where It has a fix timing race that has a fixed pin holding the race to the shaft`this does not allow me to adjust the timing race further back so I could move the race and give the shuttle hook more clearance away from my needle scarf.

It does not matter which 2 different size needles for this machine i use`the hook is just ever so slightly touching the scarf of the needle at the beginning and as the hook is passing through the scarf of the needle to pick the loop up`the needle moves away from the scarf just for a millisecond but not enough for the hook to be at the correct clearance from the scarf,I would even say the hook scrapes along the needle scarf.most on its loop pick up.

I know why the needle moves out to the left for a millisecond`when I look at the shuttle area from the front of the machine.The timing race has a piece of metal to it`so when the needle point drops down pass the hook it touches this shuttle timing race piece on this metal.

The needles are new,these are singer needles.the needle bar is not bent,the needle groove in the needle bar does not look warn as far as I can tell.And if the timing race was warn I would imagine the hook would have to much clearance from the needle scarf,And I have even placed paper shims between the shuttle race cap and the shuttle race to try to keep the whole shuttle to the right hoping to move the hook away from the needle more`but this did not work.

Is it possible when i look at the shuttle hook race`could this be to wide which is stopping the hook from being more to the right closer to the timing race and leaving more clearance from the needle scarf.

The shuttle number simanca 95094

The shuttle hook number simanca 98620

The 45k1 machine number EH369717 

My question here is`Is there a way to stop the needle scarf rubbing the hook.with what I have explained,is there some thing I have over looked here,any one is welcome to jump in please I am new to sewing machines.  

Edited by stropping

Hi there, try uploading some pictures if you can. maybe a good place to start is by looking up the parts manual for your machine and finding the names and numbers of these parts.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K1,5,11.pdf

the part you describe is the part #91050 "shuttle race cap"

if you look on page 6 you will see the whole assembly and the way it should be on your machine.

then if you look up the numerical list of parts you will find #91056 and the other parts numbers and names that makes up the complete shuttle race. if you look closely at the illustration you will see that the chamfer is on the outside of the shuttle race cap when mounted on the race. next question, what needles are you using??

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0167 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

I think you will find that the whole shuttle race assembly is clamped into the body and can be adjusted left and right.

Hi Stropping,

I think you contacted me on eBay about the throat plate. Yes it is listed for the 45k1.

There are several different plates and the difference between the 91610 and 91609 is the needle hole size.

The 98622 shuttle will fit the machine.

Hi Stropping, possibly the only way would be to file the corner edge of the race driver where it is touching if it is causing you problems and also unless you have the old #91044 shuttle, all other shuttles that i have seen will also deflect the needle a bit after the point passes the scarf. the #91044 has a small rebate right after the point which gives the needle the space enough to pass without touching. does your machine sew??