dgkfit

Bigger, Better Work Platform

hello y'all,

almost a month ago i posted an idea for a work platform for a 441 clone machine.  all the work platforms that come with the machines are way too small, so i made one that is 2' x 4' in size.  and it worked great.  now i have made one that is bigger and better than that one.  it is 3' x 6' in size. it is held up into the proper place next to the machine by a pair of 6" long 2x4's that are 1.5" in from a cutout i made for the cylinder arm.  see my previous post entitled "work platform idea" for the dimensions of the cutout.  this platform is made of cabinet grade plywood, and finished with 4 coats of clear polyurethane.  it stands on the other end on a stand made of 2x4's with one 1x6 for a shelf.    if you have any questions, please ask.

dale

3x6-platform-PIX1000.jpg

3X6-platform-base-PIX1000.jpg

Your is obviously bigger tan mine - not often that I say this! :lol:

Du to the length I would put some squared timber (right word?) lengthwise under the plate to prevent it from sagging sooner or later.

Edited by Constabulary

I do not push the standard 441 table as it is pretty small and for the same money you can make something like this beast.

Everyone has a different idea as to what they want or need.

Dale your on a roll!

I am thinking in future winter project if mine I might implement on the bottom at the support, a table leg folding / lock mechanism.

So storage of the top can be quick to move about, also its cool the room under top for a cart to push finished product in then roll out.

Keep it up, and thanks for posting

Floyd

I like this idea! I would most likely do the cut out closer to the edge of the table and have another leg support behind the machine. I'm building my workshop at the moment and size is the issue in my lot so I can only go as big as 200 sq. ft. and incorporating the machine in the work table would maximize my space. 

hello all,  thank you for your replies.   the support stand has been moved toward the machine about 2'.  that eliminates the possibility of mid-sheet sag.   it also makes room for a little folding table at the end.

dale