Boriqua

Are the lines cut or creased?

I have been rabidly absorbing information on tooling for weeks now. I have done some but never considered myself very good so now it is a mission. I particularly like the layering some people are able to achieve and at this point I think its just time for me to pick up some additional stamps and burn through my scrap box but I have a question.

Below are two examples I like VERY much. One is from a forum member who posted in another thread .. here is my question. Those lines that I noted with the red line. The raised portion between designs that is about 3/16 wide ... are they cuts to either side or are they creases? They dont look like cuts with a swivel knife so how are they made?

I thought I would take one of my junk swivel knife blades and dull it way down and then use it as some sort of creaser to create those lines but .. well ... that cant be right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Celtic Twist & Basketstamp lines.jpg

saddle lines.jpg

Sweet.. a guy who recognizes his weak point and DOES something about it (bitchin' don't count).  Best bet is ask the fella who did the work, but I woulda went with CUT lines.

I know you can buy "double" swivel knives that would cut both lines at the same time, or some people cut ONE and crease the OTHER (look up beader).

Long as I'm here .. the basket weave is a bit much for me, but the stitchin' on BOTH those looks great.

They look to me to simply be scribed lines with tooling on either side of them.  The tooling sets the background lower than the center, giving it a raised appearance.  The reason for this line of thinking is that a bead is usually beveled on both sides for most or all of its length.  The examples here are tooled...just not evenly beveled.   That, and on the saddle, you can see the scribed line in the corners of the meander stamp (where it makes a spade shape).

I'd guess a push beader and cleaned up on the ends with a beveler. They look pretty rounded up to me. Darcy is a really good maker and i'd bet he'd tell you what he used.

Bruce is correct about it being a push beader. There are two ways to get that line... you can use a "beading blade" on a swivel knife or you can use a push beader. Some people think the push beader is more difficult to use but that is what I use because I can't seem to use the swivel knife with a beader blade very well. If you check out Horseshoe brand tools, they make a push beader. Chuck Smith makes swivel knife beader blades in a couple widths. I prefer a narrow bead as I think it looks more refined. One benefit of the swivel knife beader blade is that you can make tight turns at corners with it while the push beader can't do that.

Thank you so much guys!! Off to research everything there is to know about beaders. Found the horseshoe and turns out barry king makes both the blades and the push beader at what seems a reasonable price.

D.A. That saddle is amazing!