Denis

Newby question

I'm very new at carving . I've started buying tools and a hunk of belly to practice on.. So far so good. One question I have is how hard do I press with the swivel knife. I seem to get good lines with moderate pressure and today tried pressing hard. The lines were still good but I have no idea how deep they should be.

any feed back will be helpful 

Welcome to the best site on the internet!

The answer to "how deep do I cut?" really depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you're carving for something like a floral pattern, then you'll cut NO DEEPER than half the thickness of the leather.  Filigree goes all the way through.  Decorative cuts will vary- specifically, each cut will have increasing or decreasing depths as you taper out lines. Features that you want to really stand out will be cut a little deeper, small things that just need to be present don't have to be that deep- perhaps 1/8th or 1/4 the thickness.

The notion is to get deep enough that you can compress the fibers on the grain side without tearing them (a blowout) on the flesh side when you tool.

Edited by TwinOaks

Thanks for the answer. 

Im sill getting the hang of all this just don't want to start anything that will turn into a bad habit.

I Welcome you to LWN also.

I think, Twin Oaks has given you a great insight into your appropriate newby question,

The best illistration  I think I ever heard !

I Generally go by, half the thickness of the leather to be carved.

As far as questions go,  Ask away, this is the place and these leatherworkers are the greatest

bunch of knowledgeanywhere !   

19 hours ago, Denis said:

just don't want to start anything that will turn into a bad habit.

exactly.  Goes for anything really... easier to learn it right the first time than try to "unlearn" the wrong way.  Now, that said, there is some variation in what people consider the "right" way -- not everyone does the same things.  I DO think you'll want to get away from belly leather, especially for tooling (NOT the same as the back or shoulder).

I'm the guy who NEVER recommends throwing money at books, classes, tutorials, or even burning up time on youtube poop-orials (EVERYBODY got one these days, most of them say nothing). 

STILL, I DO recommend the new guys git a copy of Stohlman's Tech Tips.  Available by digital downloadable file, inexpensive, and got info in there you could learn form for a LONG time.

A little bit of advice that will help you going forward .. be sure to strop the heck out of your new swivel knife before you use it even the first time. If you are new to carving using a dull blade can set you up right away with bad bad habits and a healthy dose of frustration. Using a good sharp knife will really bring out your creativity and pleasure and the answer to how deep will become almost immediate.

I had to almost relearn how to use a swivel knife after I had used one for years after I had properly sharpened it. It was years and years ago but I rememeber. I taught myself to apply pressure incorrectly, grip the barrel to tight and a host of other bad things using the dull blade.

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

STILL, I DO recommend the new guys git a copy of Stohlman's Tech Tips.  Available by digital downloadable file, inexpensive, and got info in there you could learn form for a LONG time.

I just checked Tandy's website and the printed book is available right now for $8.99, (with or without a membership) if you prefer that (which I would). The download is $12.99. I wish I saw the book recommendation sooner. I just got back from a Tandy class on carving/using the 7 basic tools and would have picked it up. I'm quite the novice myself and found the class worthwhile, even though it was a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there.  I did buy the Figure Carving Finesse book, and  the Tracing Patterns that goes well with it. (I already have the Pictorial carving book. Now all I need is LOTS of time to learn and practice.

Thanks for all the great tips. I have spent time stroking the blade. Nothing I hate more than a dull blade on a knife.. I'll take a look at the book mentioned. Probably down load it..

A devout Youtber has these helpful suggestions.

First case and treat your leather properly. I find this trechnique helpful, espcially the paprt about the use of saddle soap.

I also found these swivel knife finesse tips helpful.

Finally, there is no better practice than finger carving. And nobody does it better than our own Bob Park.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434949276487978368/

Good luck,

Michelle

Since no one has mentioned sharpening a swivel knife blade, here is another helpful Youtube video. Bruce Cheaney has a number of useful videos on his channel. Many relate directly to your question.

Anyway, a keen swivel knife sharpening jig is essential to getting a sharp edge at the right angle. Impossible for mere mortal humans with bare hands.

Here's how:

Get one and learn how to use it before you strop.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

I want to thank everybody for the helpful tips. I'm still practicing and waiting for my first shipment of good leather. I think I'm going to make myself a few belts to start.