Sign in to follow this  
ErikKemi

buying and selling leather

hello i have recently jumped into leather working and lucky for me a local store bought in an auction leather rolls in some bulk and have been sitting for some time so i can pick them up cheap

my questions are

will it be worth me buying and selling the leather?

the aproximate value of similar leathers

best place to sell?

storing the leather?

there are many many different rolls of all kinds of colours

i picked up this piece for $30 aud

20160501_234451_zps698d7hko.jpg

835c8d65-1e0b-4577-9807-0cf29d631bdd_zps

91cf760c-233c-4927-a363-9c6161df8e6a_zps

In my humble opinion, you didn't get any bargain.

They look like throw-aways to me.

Ferg

I agree with Ferg on this one; looks like you ended up purchasing a lot of very old leather there.  If I see the first number of the year on those tags that you provided I see that it is a 9.  Whether it was tanned in 91 or tanned in 99 you have a bunch of very old leather there that surely is full of issues and would ultimately be unusable.  Leather can fall victim to the elements and when not conditioned properly or stored properly you can end up with a bunch of very dry leather that is most certainly going to crack and fall apart on you.  From the looks of the natural looking hide I would say that it was not a very quality hide in the first place and the years of just sitting around were of no help either.

I would not recommend that you attempt to sell it to anyone and I would not recommend that it be used to make anything out of either.  However, if you do decide to make something out of it I would not be using to make anything that would be provided to anyone else; personal use items only and none that are of critical importance.  At best it is all test leather/practice leather.