Jkiefer

Beer coozie?

Hi guys, my brother wants me to make a couple of beer coozies for his company. I'm not too sure how I would make one, I'm almost positive that I couldn't use a machine to put it together so I'm assuming I'll have to hand stitch it. Any ideas on patterns??

+1 to this question.  I've also thought that a Yeti rambler coozie (20 or 30 oz) would be very cool.  

You'll find a good description of how to make a leather cylinder in Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather".  You just have to size it to the can that you're making for.  Works great.  I'm made dozens of them.

Bill

16 minutes ago, billybopp said:

You'll find a good description of how to make a leather cylinder in Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather".  You just have to size it to the can that you're making for.  Works great.  I'm made dozens of them.

Bill

Where can I find this just google it? Or is it a book??

It's a very useful book.  Can be found at Tandy leather stores, amazon, or in digital format on tandy's leathercraft library.

Bill

I have made a couple coozies.

just a reminder, but if you remove the top and bottom circles and cut a cylinder and lay it out flat, it is a rectangle. The easy part is how tall to make it, but how wide is not so easy but not too hard.

Look up the formulas for the Circumfrence of a Circle. Pi x Diameter, or 2 times Pi times the radius. For the coozie that will be the thickness of the leather times 2 and the diameter of the can or bottle multiplied by Pi(3.141). The Radius is equal to half the diameter.

Also the Area of a Cylinder: Area is equal to 2 times Pi times radius squared plus height of cylinder times the sum of 2 times Pi times the radius. The first part of this formula is the area of the top and bottom circles of the cylinder. And the second part is the area of the cylinder, which is a rectangle when flattened. And the area of a rectangle is W x L or H x W and you know how tall you want, just have to find W.

So by finding the radius of coozie and using that number in the second part of the Area of a Cylinder formula, you will have the area of the coozie, and you know how tall you want it, divide the area by the height and the width will be the result.

Be sure to add a couple millimeters to the width or the coozie will be too tight on the can or bottle.

Use the Circumference formula to figure out the bottom of coozie, if planning to do so.

Hope this helps and I didn't didn't muck it up too bad. 

Richard

I make this kind, it fits the beer bottles. I measured the bottle circumference, added the leather thickness, plus 3/16. why 3/16? because the first one I made with no tooling, I added 3/32 just for good measure and it was tight. the second one was tooled like this one and it shrunk. I am lucky to have a lathe at home so I have a "bottle" form that is about 3/32 wider than a regular bottle so I can push the damped koozie and use a hammer if needed to remove it. 

1966687_700899513266629_863978877_n.jpg

Edited by Splash