I have used a mixture of 50/50 Mop&Glo/Water in place of same ratio of Resolene/Water on a few projects, 2 layer belts and holsters.  Comparing both over a few months of use, I'm not seeing much, if any, difference in wear, abrasion, flexibility or toughness.  I was talking with a Tandy rep and he believed Mop&Glo contains ammonia which will break down the leather over time.  I checked MSDS on it and did not see ammonia listed, just Poly.  Resolene on the other hand contains Ammonium Hydroxide.  Not trying to get into the chemistry of it, because I wouldn't understand that anyways, just wondering if anyone has run into any long term ill effects of using it.  Applying both in a similar manner with a wet sponge applicator, the Mop&Glo goes on easier and almost zero bubbles, where as the Resolene produces more bubbles to smooth out and a longer time to work with it.

Edited by klaykrusher

MnG also has a detergent in it (it IS a floor cleaner), and I wonder about that in the leather...but I haven't seen any of the pieces I did come back, so I can not say one way or the other.  The other thing to consider is that Resolene claims to have a UV blocker in it, which may be important if the product goes outside.

You might want to get Katsass involved in this discussion, . . . he has used it for a BUNCH of years, . . . and if anybody on this forum could give you the skinny on MopNGlo, . . . he IS THE guy.

If he doesn't see this, . . . send him a PM, . . . he's one of the good guys and if he's not out in the desert, . . . he'll answer you honestly.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys, sounds good.  I'll give Katsass a shout shortly too....