Possumbreath

All Metal Jaw Stitching Horse

Has anyone ever heard of a harness stitching horse with all metal jaws? I am hoping to go look at it this week. 

Metal Jaws.jpg

I've seen a stitching horse with metal jaws, but it didn't look like that. That might have been custom/user-made.

If the jaws are steel, be aware of rust and subsequent staining of light leathers.

I haven't seen one like that, any patent or marking info on it? I have attached pictures of one of mine. It is a Doering patent and sold by Randall at one point.

Doering stitching horse 1.JPG

Doering stitching horse 2.JPG

I asked him about any marking info, but he said he did not see any. He did send me more pictures which clarify things a little. The jaws are not all metal, but the design of this stitching horse is not like any I have seen, not that I have seen hundreds. The metal screw adjustment in the base perplexes me, it seems like something pretty big would fit. I do not have a clue, hopefully one of you will. 

I am interested in it because it is different , but I have two stitching horses that I like and do not need another one. If this one is interesting to any one of you, let me know. I am fairly certainIy can ship it with Greyhound for a decent price. The gentlemen seems very nice and would probably take less than the $80.00 he is asking for. I asked him if all the parts moved and were not bound up. He said they all seemed fine and he was going to grease up the screw and make sure it turns smoothly. He said the patina on the jaw tops lead him to believe it was brass or copper or something other than steel, it has not rusted. Looks like the plate on the side of the jaws is of the same material.If I were to ship it it may make sense to take of the square base and only ship the rest.

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

Edited by Possumbreath
addedphoto

If anyone has interest in this stitching horse, please let me know. I already have two that I like and have rehabbed so I can use them. I just don't have room for another one. I am just learning hand stitching, getting another one would be putting the horse     before the stitch. I also have a small acquisition addiction and you will help me heal by removing this temptation. When you review the photos, you will see the screw allows for a large piece to be worked on. I am hoping that someone here knows the specific application. In any event, this is on craigslist in Vermont and I do not think anyone else has inquired about it. I would hate to see something like this go to the dump and be lost. If anyone has an interest, I will negotiate the best deal, currently he is asking for 80.00, and I will break it down for shipment. I am nearly positive I can ship it through Greyhound for about $50.00. I am not looking to make money on this, just pay for the box, shipping and reimburse me for the ultimate cost. The owner claims the top of the jaws are not steel based on the patina. He emailed me this morning and told me the screw turns well, is tight, but it works.

Obviously, if there is interest outside the US or Canada, the Greyhound idea won't work. Their buses do not do well in salt water. So, whatever the cost of shipping would be. This looks like it could be disassembled, box support legs removed and shipped as a smaller package. New owner can rebuild legs the way she or he would like. I will take good photos to make it easy.

If you are interested, let me know here or send me a message.

John

Edited by Possumbreath

I have a buyer for the stitching horse. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, johnv474 said:

I've seen a stitching horse with metal jaws, but it didn't look like that. That might have been custom/user-made.

If the jaws are steel, be aware of rust and subsequent staining of light leathers.

I have a stitching horse which I'm thinking of selling.  Would anyone know the approximate value?  Thanks so much

IMG_1310.JPG

Typical stitching horses range from $50 on the low end at an auction, up to $200+ when sold at an antiques mall or retail location (or some overpriced Ebay listings).

I'd say somewhere around $75-140 is a typical sale price (different from asking price). If I found one made of very nice wood, in exceptional condition, I would pay upwards of $150, to give an idea... but fully functional ones can be had for $100'ish.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:45 PM, bruce johnson said:

I haven't seen one like that, any patent or marking info on it? I have attached pictures of one of mine. It is a Doering patent and sold by Randall at one point.

Doering stitching horse 1.JPG

Doering stitching horse 2.JPG

I love this design and am wondering if they are still produced?

That's pretty impressive, I would pick it up at a flea market. Its basically designed like a tall saw vice used for sharpening hand saws. Homemade jaws added to a Rockwell Jaw Horse work clamp then sit on a bar stool to use it.

Edited by ContactCement