The Mean Tambourine

HELP! timing fixed, but feed is out of sync! Cowboy 227r

Help guys!  I'm in a time crunch and after 5 hours of trying to figure out what's wrong, I"m going crazy.  Here's what happened:

I replaced my hook and shuttle, and while the needle was just barely grazing the hook tip, it worked fine for about a week.  I then started breaking needles, and my timing got off.  So I opened her up.  I loosened the three screws on the main wheel, and adjusted the timing.  In the process I took of my bottom feed dog but put it back on.  My timing is fine now, but my feed dogs are off.  My stitch length is much shorter than normal, and no matter how I adjust the bottom feed dog plate (up and down) it's just not working right....

I fear that while trying to adjust the timing and loosening a few "other screws" (including the cylinder to the left of the big timing gear- altho i tightened it back up), I really messed up my feed. 

I have a Cowboy 227R (cylinder arm) and while i cant find anything online for it specifically, I've been looking at the Consew 227 which I think is a very similar/same machine?  However I still cannot find a solution. 

My nearest repair option is a few hours away and I'm desperate here.  ANY help you can offer is appreciated! Thanks so much everyone- Erin

Ouch. One golden rule of sewing machine maintenance is to never loosen a screw unless you know exactly what it does, especially on machines you depend on for production work. Project machines are a different story.

Not sure how you "fixed" the timing if you don't have a manual. Some of your statements sent a cold shiver down my spine. You need to get hold of the proper service/adjustment manual for your machine and go through the steps in sequence to get things back in working order.

Toledo Bob apparently has a PDF version of the manual, according to another forum post. Neal of Neal's Saddlery may also be able to provide documentation since he's the official U.S. importer for Cowboy sewing machines. Why they don't just make the manuals available online is beyond me.

While you're waiting for proper documentation, spend some time to figure out how to post images and short youtube video snippets, which are essential for remote, internet-based support.

Edited by Uwe

9 hours ago, Uwe said:

Ouch. One golden rule of sewing machine maintenance is to never loosen a screw unless you know exactly what it does, especially on machines you depend on for production work. Project machines are a different story.

Not sure how you "fixed" the timing if you don't have a manual. Some of your statements sent a cold shiver down my spine. You need to get hold of the proper service/adjustment manual for your machine and go through the steps in sequence to get things back in working order.

Toledo Bob apparently has a PDF version of the manual, according to another forum post. Neal of Neal's Saddlery may also be able to provide documentation since he's the official U.S. importer for Cowboy sewing machines. Why they don't just make the manuals available online is beyond me.

While you're waiting for proper documentation, spend some time to figure out how to post images and short youtube video snippets, which are essential for remote, internet-based support.

Thanks for the reply! I actually do have the manual, it's just in broken English however I was able to find one online for consew 227r which appears to be the same manual Bob gave me when I bought my machine. 

I wanted to be clear that I didn't just willy nilly go moving things around - I know better! I was trying to move my shuttle slightly away from my needle and after watching a video online of a similar machine, I thought loosening those sets were correct. But of course in hindsight, it clearly putt my feed out of sink. 

I see now that they do affect the feed dogs and the timing there. I was able to get feed working better but it's still not feeding "smooth" like I need it too. I'm going to heed hour advice now and take a video- be back shortly.