Hi, everyone!

Efraín here, from Monterrey, Mexico. I joined the group because I've gotten somewhat serious on this as a hobby and want to learna bit more since I have some other projects in mind.

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself (and show off a little, to tell the truth). I'm a software engineer, with a very serious film photography hobby that led me into this other hobby of leather work.

I started by wanting a vintage looking sturdy backpack for my cameras. The obvious choice was to purchase a leather bag, but the prices I saw for what I liked were out of my league. I tried to convince myself that the price was worth it, so I started looking in Youtube for reviews about Saddleback Buffalo Jack, Satchel &Page, etc... one thing led to another and soon I was watching at videos on how to do saddle stitching. 

I took the jump, purchased some tools and thread, built my own stitching pony and started practicing my stitches on some scraps as I went and made the pattern for my backpack with ideas borrowed from different models. Bought some leather and started the project. (I have the pattern drawn at scale and can share if you want, but I made modifications to the cut pieces once I started putting them together, so the pattern does not represent the actual, finished bag). The logo was made with a laser print, which I engraved by hammering a little screwdriver into the design after dampening the leather with some water.

The leather I got for it is called "sillero" here in Mexico, meaning it's the one used for saddles... by Tandy's buying guide it's somewhere between 8-10 oz, so, you can guess it's a heavy bag!!.

I'm sure it will be a blast to go through the forums and get to know all of you.

Here are some pictures of my bag and the process (the color is a bit off in some of them because of lighting and filter process in the iPhone). I hope you like'em!

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

15.jpg

Edited by EfrainBG
correcting order of images

Welcome to the forum....that is some fantastic work for your first project...it looks like you used at least 3/4 of the side of leather that you got...WOW it has to be heavy, but it will last several life times, I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, Troy I said:

Welcome to the forum....that is some fantastic work for your first project...it looks like you used at least 3/4 of the side of leather that you got...WOW it has to be heavy, but it will last several life times, I'm sure.

thanks, man!! I actually had to buy a second side to make the straps (and I've been making wallets and some other small items with it).

In the end it weights around 8-9 pounds empty. When fully loaded with the cameras and the rest of the gear, it's around 30 pounds, but I rarely carry that much. Near the end of the project I was a bit affraid that it would be too much to handle, but I was lucky enough that it fits so perfectly on my back that it's not such a burden.

An awesome undertaking for a first project, to be sure. But you persevered and its a really nice piece !

I may need to come to Mexice to look over your sholder.  LOL  Great first attempt !  ----  Wild Bill46

On 23/8/2016 at 3:00 PM, Wild Bill46 said:

An awesome undertaking for a first project, to be sure. But you persevered and its a really nice piece !

I may need to come to Mexice to look over your sholder.  LOL  Great first attempt !  ----  Wild Bill46

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. You're welcome in Monterrey any time you want. There's plenty to do around here!

Nice work Efrain.  Welcome to the forum.  Besides doing leather and making knives, I'm also an ameteur photographer.  I've been kicking around the idea of making a camera bag but there's no urgency for me because I really like the store bought one that I'm currently using although it is made primarily from canvas and not leather.  One day though.  I'd also like to complement you on your command of the English language which I'm assuming is a second language for you.  I have students in my college classroom that don't write as fluently as you do, sadly I might add.  Closest I've been to Monterrey was Nuevo Laredo when my brother and I did a border run when he lived in San Antonio many years ago.  A typical border town I know, and not representative of what Mexico is really like, which is why I've always wanted to visit a much less touristy place next time I'm down that way.  One bit of advice about this forum...the built in search function leaves something to be desired, and that something is pertinent results, lol.  Best to use google, or the search engine of your choice, to search a topic.  Just include 'leatherworker' in the topic query.  Knowing that, you should be able to find the answers to most of the questions that you'll have regarding leatherwork.  

...Tony

Really, a beautiful job!

Well done!  Thanks for sharing.

On 1/11/2016 at 7:53 AM, Harry Marinakis said:

Hola

NICE WORK!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot, Harry!

On 1/11/2016 at 8:22 AM, TonyRV2 said:

Nice work Efrain.  Welcome to the forum.  Besides doing leather and making knives, I'm also an ameteur photographer.  I've been kicking around the idea of making a camera bag but there's no urgency for me because I really like the store bought one that I'm currently using although it is made primarily from canvas and not leather.  One day though.  I'd also like to complement you on your command of the English language which I'm assuming is a second language for you.  I have students in my college classroom that don't write as fluently as you do, sadly I might add.  Closest I've been to Monterrey was Nuevo Laredo when my brother and I did a border run when he lived in San Antonio many years ago.  A typical border town I know, and not representative of what Mexico is really like, which is why I've always wanted to visit a much less touristy place next time I'm down that way.  One bit of advice about this forum...the built in search function leaves something to be desired, and that something is pertinent results, lol.  Best to use google, or the search engine of your choice, to search a topic.  Just include 'leatherworker' in the topic query.  Knowing that, you should be able to find the answers to most of the questions that you'll have regarding leatherwork.  

...Tony

I'm flattered, Tony. Thanks fo much for your kind comments. Now I'm on to my second camera bag. The backpack turned out to be quite heavy for an everyday photographic carry and it's messing up with my back. I still use it as a laptop backpack since those walks are far more apart and quite shorter than a photowalk. The english is indeed my second language (it shows up quickly in conversations ;)) but I happen to be a grammar geek in spanish and learning to write in english was relatively easy. Back in college I read very heavy technical books all in english and I continued the habit with novels and whatnot... that's where I picked up most of the idioms and vocabulary I use.

You're totally on point about Nuevo Laredo and the rest of the country. Right now is kind of messed up with crime and violence, but as long as you know where not to go, you'll be relatively safe.

Thanks a lot for the advice on the search engine!

On 1/11/2016 at 5:05 PM, HobbledCobbler said:

Really, a beautiful job!

Thanks a lot!!

14 hours ago, HavenHillJay said:

Well done!  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot!!

I'll see you around, everybody!! Thanks for stopping by!!

All I can say is WOW !!!

This is great for first project.

Myself - I'm also photo hobbyist but ever since I got into iphonography - I stopped using my wide format film cameras .

Welcome!!!

Thanks a lot, @eransh!

You should come back to the dark side of the force... much like leather work, I find film developing and printing very relaxing and cathartic. I guess just being physically busy is what does the trick!