billnye

Singer 211G166

There is a guy selling a Singer 211G166 1100, is this a decent price? I have done a little reading on these machines and believe it would be able to do what I need. I enjoy making belts, holsters and sheaths. My question is, is this an expensive/ hard machine to have repaired and serviced? Is the price reasonable? 

If it is fully functional, has a servo motor retrofitted and sews when you try it out, it may be worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. This is especially true if the seller offers a 30 day money back guarantee and technical support.

Note, this is an upholstery sewing machine. It is not really meant to sew veg-tan holsters or sheathes, unless they are only about 5/16" to 3/8"  thick maximum. You will be limited to #138 bonded thread using a #23 leather point needle. Anything made of veg-tan leather thicker than 1/4 inch will need to be sewn very sloooowly. This requires either a speed reducer, or an extra high power servo motor, equipped with a 2 inch pulley.

I have one and have fitted a servo AND speed reducer! It crawls along nicely. It will do belts fine, and probably knife sheathes, but I wouldn't expect it to do a typical folded over holster (I've decided to only handstitch my holsters as I think it gives a stronger piece). As Wiz said, 3/8" is pretty much the limit. It's a nice machine and has reverse, which is very handy. I do my own servicing/repairs so can't comment on costs if you have it done, but I've found it pretty easy to work on - once you understand how it works!!

Servicing costs depends where you are ( or if you can do your own ), and what parts cost where you are ?..and 1100 what? USD ? GBP *? Euros? Canadian Dollars? Australian dollars ? etc..

*Yes there are some people in the UK who make holsters..