Mujician

Wallet from scratch?

Hi,

I have some leather that I would like to use to try and make a wallet or handbag. I have patterns I can use and I think I have all the loos in place. When it comes to the stitching how do i ensure I punch the holes through the leather and the lining in the same place? Many thanks

I haven't made a wallet yet. But mostly folks glue the edges together and let it cure. Lots of videos to learn from out there.

Good luck.

yup .. use a little bit of contact cement to glue your pieces or edges together, depending on the project, and then take your awl, chisel, drill bit or hole punch and make your hole through both pieces. Be careful to hold whichever implement you are going to use at a tight right angle to your work so you can get a nice looking stitch on the inside of your work as well if it will be seen like on a wallet.

Thanks - had i have thought about it, I would have realised! Thanks - going to print off some patterns today. I wonder if you could tell me the best way of getting the pattern from the printed sheet onto the leather? Then I guess I just need to be extra careful when I'm cutting it out!

I have read of some of the fellows here printing directly onto Acetate? ? and then just using that to transfer their patterns. Check posts by "Dwight". I usually transfer my prints to transfer film with a pencil or I tape the printed patterns to file folder and then cut them out. Its alot easier to trace around the heavier stock of the file folder than paper but like I said .. there are some threads about transferring direct from the printer around and they sound intriguing. I am sighting them from memory but I think they were one use only so I shied away because printer ink being more expensive than whole blood I will stick with file folders.

Depending on the type of pattern you're referring to.  

If I transfer the TOOLING DESIGN "pattern", I use tracing film  Cheap, and lasts a LONG time before needing replaced (there are some other advantages, but that's another topic). 

If you're talking about the "pattern" meaning the shape to cut out of the leather, then I usually recommend one of two ways:

1. print the paper pattern on regular printer paper (20# stock, yours may be A4?) and then use spray adhesive to stick it to card stock or poster board, then cut out the pattern --- eliminates errors in making the pattern
  2. alternately, have the full-size pattern printed on 100-lb card stock or similar.  Most print shops (in the US anyway) will do this for LESS than it would cost to mail you a pattern.

Oh -- and the type of "pattern" use makes a difference.  If you're making 1 or 2 of something, cut out the paper pattern.  If you're making 10 or 20, put it on card stock.  And if you're making 100, just have a die made to punch out the shape.

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks all - yes, I have some tracing film for tooling patterns, but I did mean pattern for actually making stuff. I think I have it all sussed. Will left you all know the outcome of my first attempt!

I recently got wuta acrylic templates for wallets. I haven't used.them yet though.