Dave4

Singer 245-4

Hello, new member here.  Great site!  

We're newcomers to leatherworking, but not sewing.  

We're hoping to find a bargain on a starter machine that is suitable for 2 layers of leather up to 5/16" total.  

Our projects are bags and straps. Some bags may have seams joining heavy canvas or denim to leather.

Our leather material range is 3oz to 8oz.  Maybe occasional work with 10oz (maybe).  

I've read Wiz's big thread (thanks Wiz!) and many others.  It's a lot of info to take in but we're beginning to get an understanding of some of the important factors: walking foot, needle size and thread size compatibility, stitch length, sewing speed, servo vs clutch control, etc.

My questions:

1.)  For nylon or polyester threads, what is a typical range of thread sizes used in our range of materials and projects?  Is 69 to 207 a reasonable range, or should I be looking smaller or bigger?

2.)  Photos attached: a machine we found in our area.  Singer 245-4, straight stitch.  Located a few hours away, haven't seen it in person yet.  

That doesn't seem to be a walking foot in the photo.  Am I correct?  

Pulley sizes suggest reduced speed.  Correct?

Clutch-type drive, correct?

Anyone know what range of needle sizes it takes? 

Is this a good candidate for a starter machine?  

If so, assuming reasonable condition, what would you hope to pay?

Please share any comments you have on what may be needed to make a good leather sewer out of it, parts availability, add-ons, etc.

Thanks!

SingInd245-4.jpg

SingInd245-4m.jpg

That is a high speed straight sewer.

Great for making shirts

1 hour ago, Dave4 said:

That doesn't seem to be a walking foot in the photo.  Am I correct?  

That is not a walking foot machine, its a plain drop feed machine for sewing lighter materials.

Pulley sizes suggest reduced speed.  Correct?

if you choose are smaller one on the motor and a larger one on the machine (if available) you are right

Clutch-type drive, correct?

This motor is a clutch motor, yes.

Anyone know what range of needle sizes it takes? 

probably from sz 12 to 19 max.

Is this a good candidate for a starter machine?  

Not really for leather but for lighter materials as Darren said, it is a garment sewing machine

If so, assuming reasonable condition, what would you hope to pay?

$150 - $250 if you can use for the machine for your projects but I doubt this machine is what you need.

Please share any comments you have on what may be needed to make a good leather sewer out of it, parts availability, add-ons, etc.

What you want is a real walking foot / compound feed / triple feed machine like Singer 111w155 or 111w156 with reverse, Adler 67 / 167, Pfaff 145 / 545, Juki 563, Consew 206RB, Consew 226, Seiko STW-8B - just to name some of the most common flat bed machines.

Thanks!

Edited by Constabulary

Dave4 asked about the range of thread that machine can handle and tension properly, wondering if it could do #69 through #207. The range is the opposite, going down from #69 bonded thread. No way it can handle anything thicker.

Thanks folks!  Too bad, I was hoping the 245-4 might be workable.

Thanks for the list Constabulary.  

I think we're just going to have to keep reading and learning.  

Dave, all of us keep learning as there are thousands of different machines out there.

Wiz is an absolute encyclopaedia of sewing machine knowledge but I doubt that week goes by where he does not learn something new.